maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

WOC 2018 - Latvia

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 3:50 AM  
The last full-programme World Champs kicks off today in Riga, with Sprint (qualifications + final), then Sprint Relay tomorrow, before action moves to Sigulda (in the 'Latvian Alps') for middle, relay and long from Tuesday.

Official website: https://woc2018.lv/
and the often-more-useful World-of-O preview page: http://news.worldofo.com/2018/08/02/woc-2018-all-you-need-to-know/

If I have the time conversion right(add ten hours?), women's heats run from 7-7:45 pm our time, with Laura @ 7:06 in heat A, Imogene 7:22 in heat B, no runner in heat C. (Note that Imogene was a late arrival due to flight problems, so may yet sit this one out) Men's heats from 8pm, Tim 8:16 in heat A, Toby 8:37 in B, Cam 8:07 in C.

Also there and appearing in later races, Lizzie, Kate, Matt O, Gene. I'll stick my neck and say in overall depth, we're just one Nick Hann away from the strongest NZ men's team ever, and with Lizzie impressing on her come-back to date and the rest of the women proven performers in increasingly strong international fields, I think we're going to see at least a few impressive results this week.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 4:08 AM  
Oh and meant to say, Sprint Final (which should feature at least a couple of the above, although anything could happen), if my maths is right runs from just before 1am through to 3. (it's completely forgiveable to engage a social media blackout and find the delayed coverage in the morning, right?)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2018, 5:14 AM  
My computer suggests Latvia is 9hrs behind but it could be my computer just running slow. or is it fast? Austria (MTBO WOC and JWOC) appears to be 10hrs behind.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 8:10 AM  
Yep I concur. 9 hours. Strangely based on the same source I used earlier when I got 10. I think that says more about my maths than the source though. I blame all confusion on when I passed through that part of the world some time ago Latvia was bizarrely in a different time zone to Lithuania and Estonia, because. ..? The good news is I think that makes everything and hour earlier than the times I quoted above!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 11:40 AM  
Laura safely into the final (upper mid field), IMogene looks headed for her traditional 15th place...fingers crossed!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 11:56 AM  
Yep confirmed now, both in, Laura at 8th, Imogene, efficient as ever at 15th. Only surprises to miss out would be Hauswirth (mp) and Horcickova in the dreaded 16th... now for the boys...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2018, 1:04 PM  
Tim the only one of the guys to make the final, but how! Clear winner in by far the tightest heat (less than 30 secs between 1st and 16th). Not surprisingly also the heat with the most surprise DNQs, Tranchand, Merl, Kivikas and ALMOST Martin Hubmann, just squeaking in at 15th.

Toby 21st, Cam 24th. Both within 2 minutes of their heat winners. The margins at this level are crazy!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2018, 1:14 PM  
Yeah. Imogene must have a fairy godmother:-))

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2018, 7:32 PM  
So have Laura and Tim. 23rd is pretty good, but how about 2nd? By 1.2 seconds.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 August 2018, 7:58 AM  
Hmm, it's a bit quiet here, let me fix that:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Easing myself out of the social media blackout now I've caught up with how it all unfolded, my facebook feed had better be at least as crazy as things used to get around here.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 August 2018, 8:51 AM  
Sprint relay tonight (well, tomorrow morning...) starting at 1:45.

33 nations competing (which might be a record?), with NZ looking to improve on last year's 21st (and even more importantly last year's 1 place behind the Aussies) ;-)

Team (and running order) is Laura, Tim, Cam and Lizzie. As many 2018 individual sprint medalists in the team as favourites Denmark, Sweden and Switzerland. Just saying.

(Teams here https://woc2018.lv/resultsWOC/5.08/startlists/Startlist.pdf)

I used to be a sprint relay skeptic, but I reckon now a well-set one is probably the most exciting event from a spectator point of view - looking at the time though, I think there's a fair chance I'll be watching this one on the delay, so no ringing me with spoilers!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 August 2018, 11:06 AM  
You got a job or something, Oneman?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 August 2018, 12:52 PM  
https://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/latvia2018-4-nzl-12th-in-sprint-relay/

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 August 2018, 1:19 PM  
middle distance tonight, first women starting just before our 9pm but looks like live coverage doesn't start until half an hour later....

...in time for the all important NZ audience with Laura starting 9:44 and Lizzie 10:08. Tove last off at 11:16, so final results should be known before midnight.

Men are starting 11:12 to 01:46. Matt starting at 00:24, Tim at 00:30. Early reports from the terrain suggest that having 3/4 runners brought up on Wellington town belt orienteering could be advantageous!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 August 2018, 7:55 AM  
Malcolm is reporting quickly on ONZ. Very good middle results for Lizzie (24th) and Tim (30th). So-so relay for the women but the men did very well to finish 17th. The race was extremely tight at the top, with host Latvia only dropping from the placings in the last little bit - but still finishing within 1min. PS NZ beat Oz by 1 place in the men; vice versa in the women!

Show Profile  Kiwiclimber Posted: 11 August 2018, 2:45 PM  
Interesting in the men's middle (following on from Michael's comment about the relay) to see that Tim was 30th, Aussies Matt Doyle and Matthew Crane 40th and 50th, and Matt O 60th. Nice and neat!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz