maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Nationals location

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 19 June 2018, 2:34 PM  
I think the rotation system is a good idea. I think ONZ selecting map/terrain first is a well meaning mistake.

I suspect it will homogenize our events even mor and curtail the enforced planning a region undertakes

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 20 June 2018, 1:19 AM  
I'm in two minds.

I think the 'bids' should be in a set format, circulated to the whole orienteering community and clearly show how they will meet the criteria. The bids can be open for comment before the panel decides. In particular an emphasis on route choice for the Long Distance is something I support. I don't know why the General Manager is on the selection panel as our current one has no technical knowledge. I would have advocated for an experienced ONZ committee member instead to be appointed. I would have liked a diversity of terrain clause between Nationals to be inserted.

On the flip side, I am concerned this is another arbitrary decision made by a self-appointed few regarding our major competition's format without wider consultation. Just like the Nationals relay format. Decisions of this scale should be made at the AGM.

The South Island fought hard to get the Nationals on a rotation basis due to being 'awarded' it too few a times previously. To lose this, despite having a third of the Nation's orienteers, would be unfair to the development of South Island clubs and juniors.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz