maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

NZ Orienteering Champs 2018

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 5 March 2018, 4:52 AM  
Entries at standard fees for NZOC2018 close this coming Friday Mar 9 at midnight. Entry at late fees rate is open till Mar 16, but save your money and get your entries in now!

https://entero.co.nz/evento.php?eventName=NZOC2018

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 8 March 2018, 12:19 AM  
With less than 2 days to standard entries closing and many of our top orienteers still involved at Godzone, will Auckland Orienteering Club accept late entries at standard fees from them? Nelson did and I think Counties Manukau before us.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 14 March 2018, 10:34 PM  
@mcroxford. On what grounds do these "top orienteers" doing godzone require special treatment? Is it because they can afford to spend thousands of dollars on another event but can't afford late entry fees Nationals? Is it because the other event normally involves months of planning and scheduling around normal life and Nationals would be way to hard to include in that planning? Is it because Nationals at Easter was a surprise and it was only after Godzone they realised? Is it that these people are more import than most people?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 15 March 2018, 12:31 PM  
I'm with Neil. If they can't get there shit sorted before GZ, they deserve to pay more

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 15 March 2018, 12:51 PM  
No Neil. It's because we should encourage participation in our sport rather than put up barriers including cost. I wasn't advocating special treatment as I wasn't stating others should pay late fees. In fact I disagree with late fees in general.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 15 March 2018, 2:10 PM  
OK. How do you suggest we take entries. On the day or no entries after closing date.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 15 March 2018, 2:59 PM  
One closing date. No late fees. Unofficial entries on the day.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 17 March 2018, 10:51 PM  
Are you getting enough sleep Neil?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 19 March 2018, 3:06 AM  
I think just about every event I have ever entered (not just O events) has had some sort of fee structure that encourages participants to enter early. Makes sense as organisers like/need to have some certainty around participant numbers. A better way to go is rather than a having a 'late' fee, you just have a 'standard' fee that closes say 1 week before the event. Any entries after that date can just be at the discretion of the organiser, so not guaranteed. Then you just have an 'early-bird' fee so those that are organised early get rewarded. Rewarding someone for being organised sends a more positive message than penalising someone who is not.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 20 March 2018, 10:13 AM  
As Darren says. But also with an early bird structure it helps with cash flow for initial costs incurred prior to events. If everybody could enter for the same price right until the last minute how do you know how many participants or pay for anything?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 21 March 2018, 12:39 PM  
Fair enough Darren on the early bird rate. I just don't like late fees as it feels like profiteering when all the work is done. At the end of the day we are club based sport which means we should generally be not for profit. Fair enough recovering costs though.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 24 March 2018, 9:34 AM  
Bulletin 2 is available now on the NZOC2018 webpage
http://www.orienteeringauckland.org.nz/nzoc/info

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 2 April 2018, 12:20 PM  
Thanks for a fantastic weekend of orienteering Auckland! Well done. Looking forward to next years event in Oamaru!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 April 2018, 2:51 AM  
Ditto. I look forward to being able to play routes on RG.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz