maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Was WMOC worth it and should we try for JWOC?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 September 2017, 3:35 AM  
I stick this here because there doesn't seem to be any other way of discussing O stuff.

I read with interest the 'Event Hosting Expression of Interest for JWOC 2021/22' recently sent to all clubs. Very impressive document.

But nowhere can I see any justification as to why this is a good idea. Of course I can think of some reasons, but there are also plenty of reasons against hosting such an event.

Perhaps the ultimate clue as to whether hosting JWOC is a good idea would be to hear from the clubs/organisers of WMOC.
Now that the dust has settled, do they think it was worth it?
Was the sense of satisfaction of putting on a great event (and it was great!) worth it?
Did it increase club membership or profile?
Did it do do great things for club camaraderie?
Did they get some great maps out of it and/or make a pile of $$.
Perhaps all of the above?

If the clubs and club members that hosted WMOC can look back now and say that all the effort was worthwhile... AND they would do it all again, then that would be a good base to consider hosting JWOC.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 16 September 2017, 1:14 PM  
Now that the dust has settled, do they think it was worth it?
- Yes

Was the sense of satisfaction of putting on a great event (and it was great!) worth it?
- I was buzzing for about a week afterwards, till the exhaustion hit.

Did it increase club membership or profile?
- Well, our club membership is pretty high at the moment, but I think that's more through our junior development programme rather than WMOC.

Did it do great things for club camaraderie?
- There was lots of back slapping congratulations afterwards. We're all still happy to work together. It was also really good to work with other clubs in the area, for sure.

Did they get some great maps out of it and/or make a pile of $$.
- We got great maps. Forget about $$.

Perhaps all of the above?
- Life is made of experiences, and being involved in big challenging projects is generally very worthwhile (just forget about $$)

AND they would do it all again?
- Hmmm, will be discussing that at next committee meeting...

Just my view looking back,
Alison

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 17 September 2017, 1:44 AM  
My biggest concern regarding hosting JWOC or a similar sized event is showcasing unique New Zealand terrain that gives us an edge. We will not win JWOC on fast open pine forest on sand dunes or open farmland. We need interesting unique maps and venues. Then build an event around that experience. My bet is on the Queenstown Wanaka area. Just my 2 cents.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 17 September 2017, 2:46 PM  
Fraser, can you do it please?

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 September 2017, 3:26 PM  
I wouldn't want to know about it in July, as the public races, which you need to boost income would not have the numbers. The IOF fee to take it on would make sure it would run at a loss, and it is not a nice time of year, full stop.

Show Profile  NSmith Posted: 18 September 2017, 4:41 AM  
I haven't read the JWOC hosting doc, but there's potential for a really cool Oceania 2021 event in the South Island. Both Nelson area and Central Otago have some great possibilities.

I'm a little confused as to why NZ would look at bidding for JWOC in the same year in which we have Oceania though.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 18 September 2017, 1:17 PM  
Is the document available anywhere for those of us not on club committees? I'd suggest regardless of whether it's a good idea or not that JWOC with or without Oceania run in conjunction is the sort of event that might be best run by its own working group bringing together appropriate people from the entire NZ orienteering community rather than being the project of one or several clubs

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 19 September 2017, 1:28 AM  
JWOC could be held at same time as NZSSC which attracts 400 during term break.

WOC just finished organising NZSSC this year in the Wairarapa (a very wet winter).

Quite a pain organising in the middle of winter with snow falling on areas in the lead up to the event and roads closed. Thankfully the forest owners cleared about 100 fallen trees on the road to the event, and from the event centre to the start. I remember having to carry most of the controls an extra 2km after the forest road was blocked by trees.

Finding event centres and parking (including buses which turned up when program expressly forbid them) was a nightmare with some cars stuck.

The relay turned into a sea of mud but most kids enjoyed themselves.

Could have been a lot worse and a real risk for JWOC in July.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 19 September 2017, 2:04 AM  
The document: Event Hosting Expression of Interest for JWOC 2021-22
Try this link:
http://www.sporty.co.nz/asset/downloadasset?id=3b721992-68e4-41ed-bdea-fe7ec0afeeac

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 September 2017, 7:49 AM  
Planning to hold it in July sounds like far too much of a compromise.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 October 2017, 4:05 PM  
There are hardly any clubs/regions with decent OY level series or Area Champs and there is talk about applying for JWOC...that's just nuts.

JWOC shouldn't be in NZ, it should be in Europe where young athletes from the poorer Eastern Europe countries can afford to attend it.

And why I'm on here the idea to go back to longer elite races when we are struggling to even put on any elite races at all is also nuts.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz