maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Selection Policy Review

Show Profile  NSmith Posted: 30 August 2016, 4:55 PM  
As Fraser mentioned earlier the selection policy is currently under review with a draft put out for comment. In the interests of starting some discussion on the matter (albeit slightly late in the piece given submissions close on the 1st Sept), and to highlight some of the complexities that arise from the draft policy I’ve published my submission as a blog post on the ONZ website.

See http://www.orienteering.org.nz/uncategorized/selection-policy-review/

Feedback on the draft policy is to be sent to the General Manager at gm@orienteering.org.nz by 1 September 2016 (eg in two days time)

Nick Smith

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 1 September 2016, 6:28 AM  
Perhaps most pertinent in current discussion is that the High Performance plan says

It is strongly recommended therefore that
selection of these teams takes place with this in mind
and in particular
 athletes selected for JWOC should not be
selected for the Schools team at the Australian
Schools Championships in the same year

It is only recommended, by the way, not compulsory.

In any case I strongly disagree with this recommendation. I much prefer the approach to address the same issue which is being made this year, where a development team will attend the Australian week of events in September. (The development team is made up of students who were close to selection in the NZSS team)

When members of JWOC are 15/16 years of age it seems much more sensible for them to be in a team with other members their age (ie Secondary school team not Pinestars team). If athletes choose Pinestars over Secondary School, that's fine, but it should be their choice. If they are motivated by being in the Secondary school team, for whatever reason that is (which may be purely social) then their motivation should be fostered and not killed.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz