maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Alpine o labour weekend

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 29 August 2016, 2:27 AM  
This looks like a great event.
I would like to enter however looks like a dns issue impacting the entire Papo website
Any idea of an eta for sorting pls ?
They need a Magnus or Fraser ...

Show Profile  NSmith Posted: 29 August 2016, 3:21 AM  
Entry for the event is actually still available (http://oentry.javanut.net/alpine-o-weekend-2016)

The event website, along with the rest of the PAPO site, has been down for a couple of days and is currently being fixed, although the hold-up isn't actually with the club.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 August 2016, 6:29 AM  
Looks all ok now.

Show Profile  RSmith Posted: 16 September 2016, 6:22 AM  
Reminder that entries for Alpine O 2016 close in just under 1 month on 14th October BUT to get the cheaper price you have to register by 7th October.

Full details at http://alpineo2016.papo.org.nz/

Includes new maps in the Canterbury high country and a World Ranking event.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 25 October 2016, 3:04 AM  
Thanks everyone for a fantastic weekend!

I have been excited to have an orienteering event here for a long time and it was awesome for it to come to fruition. So much good work put in by all the helpers, organisers, planners and controllers. Great atmosphere and fantastic courses.

It really made it great to have so many of you come from all around the country, with lots of close fun racing. I really do enjoy orienteering in the beech forest

A special thanks to Nick Hann for all his enthusiasm in helping with this project and skill in producing some fantastic maps.

My main disappointment was that I didn't quite manage to finish the forest sprint map, and had a few issues with start triangle, north-lines and map corrections. Hopefully it was still a fun event for most of you. I will just have to tidy up the map sometime and hold another event there

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 October 2016, 3:11 PM  
The terrain was stunning. It's whetted my appetite for Waikaia.

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 25 October 2016, 3:13 PM  
Thanks for a great weekend. Liked (in a sick way) the brutality rather than technical nature of the middle...

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 25 October 2016, 4:04 PM  
And 40 out of 300 competitors have already put their routes onto the route choice website for the Long Distance. Looking forward to the Short and Middle going up onto the site too. Thanks for the great weekend. Keep plotting those routes onto the site in the meantime for the long!

Show Profile  Tim W Posted: 26 October 2016, 3:56 AM  
Just great to see people putting up their routes on RouteGadget. As a planner it really is a fascinating incite into what people did on the day. Would be great to see a few more routes of the folk doing Courses 1 & 2 given the dilemma faced for their long (2km) leg and the variation in routes emerging. RG also allows us all to view all the courses and re-live the races as a mass start or in real-time, so we can see who was following who ! Love it....

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 26 October 2016, 8:31 AM  
Yes, thanks to all involved in putting on the weekend. It was pretty awesome orienteering in the alpine terrain. Also great to see good use of RouteGadget and interesting to see the different route choices.

Chris - the use of your drone to help make the sprint map looked very interesting. The 3D model of Castle Hill village looked pretty amazing on your laptop. Look forward to hearing more about this method and what is possible in the future.

Show Profile  Tim W Posted: 26 October 2016, 3:48 PM  
Route Gadget now up for Middle Distance also:
http://rg.orienteering.org.nz/gadget/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi

Go nuts !

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz