maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Event Fees

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 12 April 2016, 12:34 AM  
I am just trying to set a budget for my family to compete at the World Masters and Oceania next year. I am already at over $1,300 and there still appears to be some hidden fees.

Oceania alone is $710 for a family of four to each enter the 6 events. This is if I manage to save the money before the early bird entries close in September.

Add to that $590 for I think six events, including two model events, and uncertainty that if I don't qualify for the final of whether I get a B final race. I then need to add an IOF fee that I can't find.

All this and no sign of supporting races at the Masters for me to enter my kids. I have been told this happened last time we hosted and is common practice at major international events.

Hmmm... perhaps I won't enter.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 12 April 2016, 2:58 AM  
Michael, the IOF levy / WMOC charge is $69. This surprised me when it popped up halfway through the registration process but I have since found a reference to the amount hidden away in section 6.1 of the "Orienteering Sports Information Guide V1" on the Orienteering page of the WMG website.

As well as this, you will also be charged a $5 transaction fee (because they can) and, if you are uncomfortable about putting your online banking login details into a screen that looks like it was designed by your 12yo nephew, a 1.75% fee for using your credit card.

An option that richer orienteers might consider is adding Cross Country to their entry. This is held on the final Sunday of the Games, the day after the Long Final and so doesn't clash with any of the orienteering events. For an extra $50, you will get the privilege of running three or four times around a 2km course in Auckland Domain.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 12 April 2016, 3:58 AM  
Hi Michael, there will certainly be other finals (B, C etc) as numbers dictate.
Yes there will be courses available for those under 35; at this stage details are to be confirmed.

There's a meeting this week... if anyone has questions feel free to drop me an email and we can get back to you with answers

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 12 April 2016, 5:17 AM  
Are you serious? Is it really $710 for a family to enter Oceania? Even with 6 events this sounds high. I was hoping to encourage some of our newer families to take part but there's no way I'm going to be able to do that if it's $700 in cost for entries, before they even add on travel and accommodation.

Yes orienteering is expensive to organise with high mapping costs but if grants have been obtained for this (and they usually can be if enough applications are made) then that should be passed onto participants.

In general I think we should have much lower fees for white and yellow courses - the junior fee usually feels about right for M18s but for a white course 8 year old it often seems like a lot of money! The ANZAC weekend events coming up are, on the other hand, super value.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 April 2016, 8:38 AM  
Hear hear to lower entry fees for white and yellow. From a social point of view they are often members of families. From a provider point of view they don't require so much, or so difficult, mapping. From a marketing point of view a low entry price is an established technique. (Excuse me while I replace the ink on my printer.) From a value point of view, is a white/yellow course at Oceania any more attractive than the white course at a local? Pricing models could be (a) course-related pricing (b) one tenth rather than the usual one half (c) a cap on white/yellow for any event.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 13 April 2016, 1:02 AM  
Oceania does look quite pricey. http://oceania2017.nz/enter/

Would be interested to see how this compares with previous Oceania events but I can't find any records of what I paid.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 13 April 2016, 5:40 AM  
The fees look comparable to the 2011, 2013 and 2015 Oceania events, here's a summary of past events:
http://cmoc.co.nz/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Oceania-compare.jpg

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 13 April 2016, 6:56 AM  
Thanks Martin. Comparing it to the last one in NZ in 2013 there seems to be an upward shift. Definitely would want to be entering early.

Congratulations on your engineering award too.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 13 April 2016, 11:57 PM  
Thanks Martin. When I viewed the website and posted, the family rate wasn't shown. By the looks of things it hacks off about $100 from the $710 I initially calculated for all 6 events. I just need to get saving.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 14 April 2016, 12:00 AM  
Full details are hidden after you press the enter button.
https://entero.co.nz/evento.php?eventName=oceania-2017&action=eventFees

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz