maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

South Island Champs - Labour Weekend 24-26 Oct

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 21 August 2015, 7:47 AM  
Roll Up - Roll Up - Come on Down to the infamous Naseby Forest in Central Otago.
Only the toughest survive!

Check out the event site at...
https://sites.google.com/a/dunedinorienteering.org/2015sic/home

Book your accommodation early! Consider the weather... The last South Island Champs at Naseby in 2012 had us in shorts and singlets on one day, and knee deep snow the next...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 August 2015, 3:22 PM  
Just back from putting the finishing touches to the map of a new area. Naseby is a national treasure, both the ultra-detailed mining terrain and the village atmosphere. I've set a double-short* event on my bit, I'll leave the others to tell the rest of the story.

*Short = similar length to the curiously-named "sprint", using the standard specifications. I think there's going to be a chasing start in the second race:-))

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 2 September 2015, 12:19 AM  
On-line Entries now available.

Come on, you know you want to...

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 8 October 2015, 4:02 AM  
Entries close tomorrow - Friday 9th October

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 October 2015, 5:53 AM  
Do it. Naseby is unique. The goldmining in Australia doesn't compare. This is a well-thought-out weekend with lots on offer, if you haven't visited the website for a while take another look.

Show Profile  svendp Posted: 9 October 2015, 12:27 PM  
Today, I was assisting Ann McCarthy with filling in her entry form because she had a computer problem.
Ann's class is W80A and the long distance event has indeed the M/W80A class included, but in the entry form the M/W80
class is not included and being by selection you can only enter the classes that are actually in the selection.
Ann was a bit annoyed that I could not enter her in W80A class.

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 9 October 2015, 12:56 PM  
Sorry to hear that Svend. I'll pass this on to the entries person.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 October 2015, 1:05 PM  
I'm biased of course (my ancestry goes back to Naseby) but I thought it was a great weekend. New forest mapped, old parts revisited, everyone challenged especially in the long. Great village atmosphere and warm weather. Snow predicted to follow our departure!

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 27 October 2015, 1:30 AM  
Thanks to everyone who competed at the weekend, Naseby put on some great weather [snowed Monday night!!] and the terrain and courses were excellent.

One of these years we'll have to make an "I survived Naseby" t-shirt!

A big shout-out to everyone who volunteered their time to make this a successful event, whether it was five minutes or five weeks, it couldn't have happened without you.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 27 October 2015, 4:50 AM  
Yes it was great, Naseby reinforcing its place as one of my most favourite orienteering areas in NZ. The events were all really good, and we appreciated the extra effort with things like the commentary and extracurricular activities. And all done without sacrificing the friendly, small club style with, for example, relaxed starting procedures which are great for parents and welcoming for new people. Huge thanks to all involved!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 October 2015, 7:22 AM  
Haven't seen the composite result from the short, so I did some jottings. Pick them up if you like, DOC. http://www.mapsport.co.nz/naseby2015doubleshort.html

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz