maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Mr Bert Chapman

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 7 January 2015, 5:41 AM  
I have just read that the lovely funny Bert Chapman has passed away suddenly and the funeral has already been? Just thought there would be others out there that may want to know? This is so sad....there are not many fun old guys in Orienteering and he was such a lovely man and always interested in everything. RIP Bert.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 7 January 2015, 11:13 AM  
Yes Val, funeral was yesterday, there was a great turnout for a fantastic guy. There was a good number of orienteers there to pay our last respects and John Robinson was a guest speaker. He will be missed by all.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 January 2015, 1:26 PM  
Laurie Baxter also passed away on Boxing day, another fantastic person involved in our sport always with a friendly grin and chat.

2014 saw the loss of John Davies, Ralph King, Laurie, Bert and Rhys Thompson (the last 4 all heavily involved in NWOC at some point in time)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 January 2015, 2:25 PM  
Goodbye Bert and Laurie. Travelled overseas with you both, good times. I know more about Laurie so this doesn't diminish Bert's contribution, but that work on the original Kiwisport programme was fantastic.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 8 January 2015, 7:07 AM  
Lots of fond memories of both Bert and Laurie.

Bert as "club captain" always ensured that NWOC had their entries in well before time (often first) for Katoa Po - no mean feat!!!!

Laurie worked tirelessly in getting the Kiwisport Orienteering programme up and running. He and I had many discussions on how to get his maps to work in OCAD - he managed to crash the software, used interesting scales/symbols, and numerous fonts - all with one goal in mind: making orienteering interesting and a want to do activity for kids.

RIP Bert and Laurie - you are both sorely missed.

Show Profile  Michael A Posted: 8 January 2015, 9:18 AM  
RIP Bert
I will miss our cheeky banter mate.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz