maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Schools Team Selections

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 5 August 2014, 5:34 AM  
Hi Tom. My ideal would be to see three regional teams selected instead of a NZSS school's team and save that for when it's Aus v NZ not NZ v Aus state teams. Imagine the having 50 odd kids exposed to the next level of competition and the pressure it would put on JWOC places.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 5 August 2014, 5:58 AM  
I think that as we are guests in Australia we are unlikely to have more than one team.

Also if we have 50 kids going I don't know if we would be able to get the best for all of them in terms of coaching and support.

Show Profile  Alan Posted: 5 August 2014, 8:30 AM  
Why not just do what some of the aussie state teams do and take two reserves in each grade along with the four person team?

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 7 August 2014, 6:00 AM  
Well, that stopped everyone in their tracks Alan... probably a good suggestion. That means 8 more kids, (equals one van and one parent). Its probably getting the one more parent willing to take the 8 kids and organise their accommodation consistently every year that will be the sticking point.
Anyhow, see on the other thread Simon says he's working on discussions with Aussies.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 7 August 2014, 6:54 AM  
So I would like to take you on a different track. I respect the idea we shouldn't talk about possible kids getting selected for World School's team and I certainly don't want to add to the selector's current woes so that leaves one topic - how do you think ONZ should proceed in helping get the group ready to go to World School Champs?

Guess someone has been approached to be head of delegate, or soon will be. What responsibility will they be given? Is it them that decides whether the kids go in one uniform, or in 8 separate team uniforms. Do they travel as one team, or 8? Do any have to attend Nationals next year? Do the lot get to go to Gallipolli?

They could all attend first 2 days of Nationals and leave from Auckland together. And as the World Champs finish on 25th April, they could get to see Gallipolli a few days after the official ceremonies - maybe all the wreathes would still be on display. (What a lot to co-ordinate). And you have all the parents that go , and even aunties and uncles travel down from Europe too.

Selection date is only weeks away. Are ONZ just going to announce 5 that should make a team and if any of those 5 can't/don't want to accept to go, leave it at that, the team doesn't go? I would treat the seniors and juniors differently in this case. I would like a senior team to definitely go, so they keep selecting until 5 accept. But with juniors if all the top 5 juniors don't want to go, don't send a team. Reason it could occur -cost mainly.

Lets look at cost. If an athlete were to go to all the events over the next 12 months approx. cost will be:
Aussie Schools $2,000
ANZ Challenge $2,000
World Schools $5,000
NZSS (Nelson) $ 500

JWOC $5,000

Note: Possibly 4 kids may get option to go to all events.(But would schools allow kids time off to go twice to Europe next year? Unlikely.)
Due to cost I think there may be a bit of adding of names before we get final teams.
Anyway, I watch with interest how this is going to unfold. A few headaches ahead I predict but it is good practice for next time.

Show Profile  Andel Posted: 7 August 2014, 1:45 PM  
Jane.

I really do hope that the selectors do select teams to go to Turkey. I don't think there will be too many problems finding top orienteers in each age group who can go.

There are a number of students who are keen to go. They are top intermediate grade runners so they are the right age to qualify as seniors in Turkey and they certainly qualify based on performance. They have a great parental support group behind them who have great ideas on how to fund raise. They attend schools that do not have sufficient orienteer's to attempt to qualify as a schools team. Their schools will be very proud and supportive of those students, they wont have problems getting the time off to go.

This is a great opportunity to further the development of these kids and give then some great orienteering experience.

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 7 August 2014, 3:47 PM  
The most simple selection for the junior team for Australia
Sprint and long
Daniel
Tegan
Marisol
Katie
This was the first four in sprint and long.
Dont you think its simple selection
Not the selectors
They left out Katie. She was available and not chosen
With such a talented young orienteer I find it unbelievable

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 7 August 2014, 4:09 PM  
The problem here is we have some selectors who dont know these student at all and dont come to the schools events.
We need people who are involved and know the students and are at most school events. They know and talk to most of the top students where as some selectors have never seen the students they are selecting.
We do have coaches and teachers who know the performances of almost all competitors. They are in touch with the play makers and know all competitors and their history.
These are the people who should be selecting these teams and I am sure there would be no selection problems
I am assuming Alistair because of his close involvement was not part of this selection.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 14 August 2014, 4:50 AM  
http://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/notification-appeal/
Time is ticking for a decision to be made on this one (unless it has been and hasn't been announced).

With the championships being only 1 month and a bit away surely flights will need to have been booked by now? From my memory there is a chance to take a reserve in each grade? Perhaps this is the best option from this point - I recall it is happened in the past with a schools team selection.

It is a shame that it came to an appeal. Sport is sport and sometimes you get overlooked for teams for reasons you can't understand. Missing out on things sometimes inspires and motivates for better performances in the future. It also teaches great life lessons, where sometimes you do miss out on things (supposedly unfairly) - hopefully it doesn't detract from the experience of those selected.

Also, just to clear up - the above is not saying I don't think the people who didn't make the team don't have a case, more that it is disappointing that it has come to an appeal.

On another note, I agree with JohnR's sentiments that the selection panel (barring Alistair) is out of touch with the pool they are selecting from. Maybe it is time that the selection process was changed from one selection panel to a number of selection panels for differing teams. As we can see those in the know differ depending on the age groups. Food for thought perhaps.

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 15 September 2014, 10:39 AM  
Just as an aside I was reading Rob G's post on the ANZ challenge and see the Aussie selection policy there. It appears they have four different selection panels juniors, seniors, masters and schools.

Maybe we should be considering something along those lines after the recent issues over selections.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 15 September 2014, 10:58 AM  
It would alleviate some of the workload that selectors have these days.
20 years ago they picked a World Champs team every 2 years, and an A/NZ Challenge approximately every 18 months, but the job is massive now.

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 9 October 2014, 2:07 AM  
Some good news on the ONZ website this week with a policy update around NZ School's team trials and there whereabouts. I do believe we should also be including Hawkes Bay as a fourth venue along with the three main centres and there is to be a selection panel specifically for juniors. So some positive changes in the wind and apparently there is still more to come so watch out for further updates.

Over the past 6 years the Regional Schools Challenge has grown from humble beginnings to what it is now. We had about 100 juniors compete this year from 4 regions and all the best were there, so makes sense to make it the 'primary trial' for selection especially as its over three events and the cream will always rise to the surface. In the past the SI has never really been involved in the event so a team from the mainland is essential as well. The challenge now is for the regions to embrace this and make sure anyone they think should be entered is entered, as part of their regional team.

So all those who are involved with regional teams let's start planning the logistics now, for getting teams to Auckland for QBDay weekend 2015. We can then make this event bigger than big.

At this end we could start making some enquiries about accommodation and try to have all teams staying under one roof which has been done in the past and proved to be very successful.

Show Profile  lyns Posted: 9 October 2014, 5:59 AM  
Mike - couldn't find the update you speak of, where on ONZ website is it?

As I think you are aware our students have a problem with QBD as it clashes with school exams every year. Maybe we are the only school with that schedule but a pity for our kids if this became a primary selection venue.

Great event though.

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 9 October 2014, 6:09 AM  
Here is a link to the update (was in the blog section...though can also be found if you search selections) http://www.orienteering.org.nz/uncategorized/selection-policy-changes-brief-update/

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 9 October 2014, 6:53 AM  
It may be the primary event but it appears other events are being taken into account as well. Nationals NISS, SISS and the Individuals at NZSS. It would great to be able to announce the team straight after the relays at NZSS and for those selected go up and be acknowledged.

School exam times will never fit all I'm afraid, but I'm sure if someone was keen enough to go to Aussie they would attempt to be there. It is held over the weekend not during the week and next year it's in Auckland. Anyway if kids are good enough to go the Australia they would be in one of the regional teams. Auckland will have at least two teams there again and maybe three so the best we have to offer will be on show.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz