maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

New ONZ Website

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 April 2014, 10:46 AM  
It looks very nice, but I'm thinking that it's not the place for low-down stuff such as "can I get a ride to..." or perhaps robust discussion. I suspect we might want ONZ to give a 100% positive impression to non-orienteers and those in their early months in the sport. Is this so? If it IS the place for chat, and I'm a low-performance orienteer frightened of the word sprint, don't have a mountain bike, not sure what rogaine means, etc etc which is the group for my chat about "ordinary" orienteering? Can I chat about purely local stuff? (Aside: Maptalk has been a useful forum for a very long time, perhaps it is being replaced by other media but thank you Fraser!)

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 30 April 2014, 1:38 PM  
Interesting post Michael. I'm uncertain of the need for the forum area on the website. I know there were umpteen focus groups, I know this is certain people's pet project, but I think it is trying to do too much. If anything, when I go on I find it a bit confusing. It should be a simple gateway site into orienteering.

I think the forums should stay on maptalk, to encourage freedom of expression. Events yes. News yes. Photos perhaps.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Forums on maptalk ain't broke. Remove the clutter.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 30 April 2014, 2:12 PM  
Is the registration problem fixed? Or should I just try another browser?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 30 April 2014, 2:40 PM  
Currently not aware of any issues stopping registration from being completed.

Please email webmaster@orienteering.org.nz if you have any trouble.

Jamie, I'll send through an email confirming your registration details.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 April 2014, 3:54 PM  
I can't see a link to the old website which has a lot of stuff which is useful. The webmaster says: "You can get to the old website this week by going to http://www.nzorienteering.com/resources/
Redirections for the most popular items will on the old site to the new site will be established this week. The old site will also likely move to http://oldsite.orienteering.org.nz and then be removed completely once everything is confirmed to have been copied or replaced off it.

That may or may not apply to the Rogaining, MTBO and Ski-O parts of the old website, no discussions have been held with the webmasters of those. They are trucking along as they have since 1998.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 1 May 2014, 4:38 AM  
The new website seems to take forever (> 1.5 mins) to load up the home page. I am not blessed with super fast broadband. If I had only Dial up I would never see a thing.

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 1 May 2014, 4:46 AM  
The homepage of the website is "only" 2.2 MB large whereof the Trimtex logo is 0.64 MB. So almost one third of your download time you are waiting for the sponsors, seems like MJW is more caring with his 8.2 KB Mapsport logo.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 1 May 2014, 5:12 AM  
Website looks really cool. Prof as! After being a negative nancy about how long it took I can now see why. Only question I have is where all this re-branding to ONZ and find your adventure etc stuff came from. I reckon Federation of Orienteering New Zealand ie THE FONZ would be sweet

Show Profile  mark Posted: 1 May 2014, 6:18 AM  
Dial up? What it that?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 1 May 2014, 10:30 AM  
Magnus, can confirm our sponsors are important to us and they have our back and we have theirs. Sorry for the oversight on my part - The new Trimtex logo now comes in at 7.21KB.

The Map Guy, Thanks for your feedback and letting us know. Noted. Dev team inform me they have run several optimisations. Priority is currently to fix issues and get content up. We will address further speed improvements as we can.

DMJunior, more information will be sent out to clubs about the re-branding and website.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 1 May 2014, 12:20 PM  
Many logos with adequate resolution can be used by opening the high resolution (MB) images in appropriate software, then screen capturing them in JPG or GIF formats. They are only a few kilobytes and load quickly. I frequently use this method in websites.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 3 May 2014, 3:18 AM  
My first impression is it looks great - thanks and congratulations!

I`m sure we`ll all come to understand what it is and what we can do with it soon enough. Likewise, I`m sure all the right info will get to right places in due course.

I`m very pleased to see it up and running and presenting a slick public face for the sport

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 May 2014, 6:55 PM  
Fraser I think it is premature to say (on Maptalk/Events) that the official listing is now on ONZ. We're still grappling with ONZ problems with closing dates, contact numbers and website links, and linking to the listing with a club or regional filter on. We're still maintaining Maptalk listings and wouldn't like viewers to think otherwise.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 5 May 2014, 6:50 AM  
That's what I have been asked to do through official channels so will leave it like that unless I hear otherwise.

I assume that clubs will maintain their current listings on maptalk but only list new events on the ONZ site. Although it is ultimately up to the clubs what they want to do.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 May 2014, 7:30 AM  
Hi everyone, thanks for all the work finding bugs and discussing the new website. Information on the new website is being sent out to clubs, but can also be found here:
http://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/website-information-clubs-members/

At the same time there is one about our rebranding:
http://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/rebranding-orienteering-nz-information-clubs-members/

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 May 2014, 7:37 AM  
@Michael - ultimately we want to ensure that we reduce the time/effort requirements of clubs in uploading events, so a single source for uploading is the goal. Yes one or two small bugs we're sorting but we are working quickly on that front.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz