maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Loss of a Legend

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 April 2014, 5:12 AM  
Pasted in from the NZOF FB page:

With deep sorrow, we regret to inform you all of the passing of an absolute legend of orienteering in New Zealand, John Davies, who died today (21st April 2014) following a stroke. John was a life member of the NZ Orienteering Federation.

Our thoughts are with his wife Robyn, his children Jan and Michael and all his grand children and wider family.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 22 April 2014, 12:47 PM  
Stuart Payne has spent today writing up a Tribute to JD.

This can be found here:
http://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/memory-john-davies-1940-2014/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 April 2014, 2:17 PM  
A celebration of his life will be held at Riccarton High School at 2pm on Mon 28th April. Thanks to the Cory-Wrights for this, and keeping us informed over the weekend.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 23 April 2014, 1:05 AM  
Yes, a true legend - he will be missed by us all but he will be remembered forever. One of the true pioneers of our sport we love.

My best wishes to Robyn, Jan and Michael.

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 23 April 2014, 5:41 AM  
Nice work Stuart--Yes a true legend and a great friend.
It was John and Robyn who introduced Val and I into the sport in 1974 and we have remained close friends ever since.
I find it hard to believe John is not with us.
Love to the family Val and Robbie

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 April 2014, 6:13 AM  
Such sad news. John was one of the main reasons Kevin and I took up Orienteering as juniors in Tokoroa. As President of the Pinelands club he, with Robyn, did such a great job encouraging development of a small club into one of NZ's most successful at the time. It was his tireless ability to humour people, work hard, encourage and support others into new and sometimes difficult tasks (No doubt he must have been an amazing teacher). Though long ago all the efforts are still clear to me. And although I have only crossed paths with John at occasional Orienteering events in recent years I have always been greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, had a great laugh and left with a smile on my face.
Robyn, Jan and Michael, and to the others I never knew, take heart that your husband, father, grandfather, and friend, was a great example to many of us on how to live a fulfilled and honest life. A very hard act to follow. However, I see John's amazing qualities live on within you all as his influence or genes must have been very catchy!
I, like many, have never and will never forget John.

Sympathy and best wishes to you all, Be at peace, the legacy lives on.
Paul Ireland.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 23 April 2014, 6:17 AM  
He was orienteering at Spencerville Sunday last week. A forest he mapped 38 years ago for an event that resulted in the creation of PAPO.

Thanks John. I'm going to miss your sharp wit and cheery laugh. Downloaded and at rest.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 24 April 2014, 5:41 AM  
A tragic loss of a friend, role model, and mentor. I will miss John's friendly face. He always provided me with invaluable help and advice during my tenure as Technical Convenor.

A great totara in our orienteering forest has fallen creating a great deal of walk/fight for those who have to negotiate their way round it.

Thanks for the many memories John – I will treasure them forever.

My condolences to Robyn, Jan, Michael, and their families.

Show Profile  Kenny Posted: 25 April 2014, 10:00 AM  
After we returned from UK O in 1977, we found John and Robyn to be pillars of orienteering in NZ. Always willing and able to help their southern brethren.

Our thoughts are truly with you Robyn, Jan, Michael.

Ken & Anitra, Wheatsheaf, VIC

Show Profile  Anitra Posted: 25 April 2014, 2:12 PM  
John and Robyn introduced me to O. Ken was host to the NZ team in 1976 which consisted of John and Robyn and John and Val Robinson. They spent so much time pouring over maps that I decided there must be something about O and gave it a go. They were very welcoming when we returned to NZ in 1977.

Thanks John for your support and wit.

Love to the family.
Anitra

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 April 2014, 2:35 PM  
Great remembrance yesterday. Chrissie Williams (PAPO and one-time NZOF Sec) spoke as "an orienteering friend". Described as "a teaching friend" was Mike Grayburn (Putaruru HS and SS orienteering guru). And described as "an athletics and cross country friend" was Peter Marks, founder of Wgtn OC. And of course Jan and Michael. Truly an orienteer through and through.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz