maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

The Current State of High performance Orienteering in NZ

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 9 April 2014, 3:29 AM  
Don't get me started on map scales...

Show Profile  darren Posted: 9 April 2014, 5:54 AM  
Here is the link to the Carsten Jorgensen fanpage https://www.facebook.com/TheMooseDK?ref=ts&fref=ts

Jenni, can you ask The Moose to add some more content. The tiny little bit that is there, is very impressive though

I think I have some dodgy photos of him from past World Champs parties that he can use if he wants.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 9 April 2014, 7:37 AM  
Facebook is pretty good for getting info out there but I find it works best to use facebook to direct people to some news elsewhere. Like here is a link to the points table on this website or here is a link to the coming event etc. So use facebook to direct people to something more formal and available for others who dont have the facebook.

Secondly - perhaps NZ O tour facebook should be reborn as a page rather than as a group? that way people dont have to ask to join - rather they just like and updates turn up on there news feed.

Mcrox' and Jamie are getting things done by just doing it! Thats the best way to get things done in NZ orienteering - we are a small sport that relies on people just biting the bullet and say shit, you know what, ill do it! Massive ups to them.

PS How exciting is it that Nationals are only 1 week and 1 day away! The NZ O Tour will also be decided then too. Its wide open, anyone can win from here! How awesome is that. Bummer that Brent Edwards peaked too early

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 April 2014, 10:17 AM  
I heard this year was the Year Of The Brent, though. And that's the kind of thing that nobody would ever make wild claims about...

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 9 April 2014, 10:22 AM  
Please stick to topic and it's not peaking too early it's coming into form.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 April 2014, 10:22 AM  
From the spectator control, I'd have to say if the sort of international results we've been seeing at junior AND senior level over the last 5+ years have come when the high performance support network has been as barely functional as the initial comments in this thread suggest, imagine what spectacularness would be happening if things were humming along?!?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 April 2014, 10:43 AM  
Or...

if I can play Devil's Advocate for a moment (surely can't do any worse in that role than Keanu Reeves)...

Are at least some of the results we've been seeing a direct result of a limited coaching etc structure? Consider for example all the self-directed effort that Matt, Gene, Duncan etc put into doing enough technically and physically tough training to realise their potential as orienteers. Worked out pretty well for at least one of them if I recall correctly. Hypothetically now, with the best high-performance program that NZ orienteering could currently afford, they might have had about... (grabs random figure from hat) ...10% of that effort put on for them. My question is, in that case would they have had the realisation that to get to world-class, there was another 90% that they had to do themselves? With the benefit of hindsight, then probably yes, because now we know that's what it takes (which is why we see other pockets of activity around the country mimicking or modifying the AOTC philosophy), but without that hindsight I'm not so sure.

When there were regular national squad training camps and clearly identified coaches and the like, I don't know if there was anyone putting in anything like the independent hours that were happening under the radar in Woodhill over the last few years, I'm not saying that nobody was doing anything away from the training camps so please no offense-taking by the older and former elites, and there may have been just as much physical work going on, but what about technique-driven training?

Now the whole point of being a devil's advocate is to raise arguments that you can strengthen your own position by shooting down. So, fire away.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 April 2014, 5:03 PM  
There have never been regular National Squad training camps.

Matt, Tim and Nick have clearly shown that there is a pathway to international success for young orienteers coming out of NZ. I am confident they are going to continue showing us the way.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 10 April 2014, 8:40 AM  
Which is why we should help them out as much as possible!

Rocking the boat certainly seems to get a conversion going...

Michael, you have pretty much answered most of those questions already. I am sorry that I didn't come to you to voice my concerns, I just figured it was outside of your realm of responsibility, I thought that was something that the wider NZOF should be doing... anyway I couldn't figure out where to raise these issues. And even if it wasn't your responsibility you have stepped up to the plate and filled that position will great effort and enthusiasm!

Jamie, I think sometimes you live somewhere far off in some pseudo hippy idealistic world. Sure its fun to have your ego stoked for a while but it gets old pretty quick, after a while it becomes nice to know that you are doing something worthwhile, something worth having an article written about etc and hopefully it helps to raise the profile of orienteering, and hence the competition. Which in-turn hopefully increases motivation on an intrinsic level. It just annoys me that I have spent most of my time the last few years doing orienteering, I do a few mountain races and I am more well known for running that I ever have been for orienteering.... (not that I rank up there at all with the greatest NZ orienteers, and quite clearly I am not one of NZ's best mountain runners ever either...)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 April 2014, 12:56 PM  
Tane, the reality is that most people that "have articles written about them" either write them themselves (this includes all the top adventure racers, multisporters you have ever heard of) or they are written or paid for by the National Sporting Body.

One could argue it is a good investment, and I certainly believe this can be the case, hence I have done a lot of it on a voluntary basis about other orienteers. NZOF have also in the past paid the HP manager to do this as part of their duties.

However, I thought it was worth pointing out the reality of what this is - an ego stoke - and your comment is wierdly circular..." it gets old pretty quick having my ego stoked but I like having my ego stoked". I think in our case the best form of motivation is having a goal and achieving it, ideally within a supportive group that places similar value on the achievement.

ps, pretty happy with the far away place;-)

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 11 April 2014, 1:25 AM  
Hey Darren It's not Carsten who has made the homepage, he tends to not to be too much of his own fan... We didn't know it existed until my brother pointed it out. He's not allowed on facebook either, because I don't want to see all the dodgy world champs party photos of him. And that is after all what facebook is mostly about - posting dodgy party photos, ikke? (ikke? is Danish for, eh? in case you didn't guess)

Jamie Why wasn't Lizzie mentioned in your list of orienteers who have shown there is pathway out of NZ for young orienteers - she hasn't lived that long in Aus?
I'm also glad to hear you talk about a supportive environment because it used to disappoint me the way you boys always used to put each other down, and try and wind each other up, which I didn't see as that supportive of each other. But then I've never really got the way NZ males show affection. Training with others is a good recipe - it's part of what attracts people to team sports and even though you run alone in orienteering doesn't mean you have to train alone.

Show Profile  Jenni. Posted: 11 April 2014, 2:31 AM  
Stop being so paranoid about Facebook Jenni. Signing up to facebook is not really that different to signing up to maptalk. It is a great communication tool and you can set it up in such away that you only see the things that you want to. So you don't have to see dodgy party photos (or photos of peoples lunch/dinner). And if you are worried about Facebook misusing your details, you can always sign up with fake details.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 April 2014, 6:35 AM  
Jenni. Fair call regards Lizzie. I am a bit embarassed about the omission and have apologised to her. And by the way, pathway to success from NZ is what we are after...not a way out. Also fair call re the put downs. The new generation certainly have a lot more professional and respectful culture and have got the results.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 11 April 2014, 8:24 AM  
Hey Tane! Like I said, I built a bridge.

I think we're all on the same page of having a highly competitive and collaborative local elite scene that celebrates success, is supportive and provides a clear pathway to success.

I think we need to pick up on Thomas' concept and reflect on onemanfanclub's post regarding personal effort.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 April 2014, 8:39 AM  
If I lived in naseby I'd be faster

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz