maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

The Current State of High performance Orienteering in NZ

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 7 April 2014, 6:29 PM  
Firstly there are plenty of spots at WOC. How about when kiwis win the sprint, sprint relay and relay we start complaining about the lack of middle and long spots. The no spots at WOC talk/myth needs to stop now.

All that motivates me is seeing NZ orienteers kicking butt. The "collective" enterprise is definitely the right focus. Small groups of people with commitment and some help along the way can achieve the world in orienteering.

I think some of the other stuff is peripheral. This includes sponsors (unless they are really bringing something to the party which generally they dont unless they are an individual connected to orienteering). It also includes write ups on external media. I used to write about orienteering for sportzhub, this was designed to stoke egos. Motivation needs to be more intrinsic than this to last the tough times.

I also think the HP program needs to create closer links with clubs and parents. We have drifted away from that over the years. Clubs fund HP out of the levys they pay, period. One idea I think is worth looking at is redirecting the HP budget to regional training efforts, supporting the "collective enterprise" at its grass roots in the clubs, then putting the onus on the clubs to fund JWOC/WOC entry fees etc if they believe the individual athlete should be supported.

It is easy for people to say we need to communicate better with the wider orienteering community, but I am not seeing anyone say how. I have put significant personal effort into trying to do just this.

Regarding turnover in the elites, in my observation it is more injury and other interests rather than age. I think the World Cup in NZ was demotivating for a lot of elites because no one stood up to be counted and lead that campaign. It was a shambles. That was last year though. This year we have another World Cup in our backyard. We have great talent coming through. People should be talking to their friends and booking their tickets now.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 8 April 2014, 1:44 AM  
Is facebook the best way to communicate information? No!

First - I think it has been great to have a National O-Tour facebook page. Although it did finally force me to join facebook much to my displeasure, there have been lots of good posts and a bit of banta, which has been great for motivating myself. Thanks heaps to Michael for all your excitment and interest, helping pump up the scene, as well as Jamie for you OSQUAD blog - both great for keeping my interest going!

However, when trying to find information such as which events are in the NZ O Tour, current points, etc it is hopeless. There is no index or structure. What we need is a basic homepage (under NZOF page) with this information and a link to the facebook group for all those that are keen for some more banta and regular updates

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:01 AM  
Also, I think its great Tane has brought this up for discussion. What's the point of Maptalk if it is not to talk about orienteering things. If no one is prepared to bring up some of the problems we are all experiencing then we are unlikely to improve things. It is the NZOFs role to provide national cohesion to our sport (what else is it there for?).
So we need to insure it is aware of the problems and help find strategies for improving things.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:24 AM  
Finally a bit off the topic (but relating to lack of information around high performance), but does anyone know what is happening with the Regional (Oceania) positions for WOC this year and in the future? As I understand it the current Regional champions (Male and Female) in both middle and long are given an extra spot in the world champs each year. However, due to the WC races last year being held at the same time and place as the Oceania champs, and the fact that we did not know at the time these would be qualifying races for WOC, they were not properly contested.

Based on the IOF webpage the top placed competitors from Oceania were... Thomas Reynolds and Grace Crane in the Long and Kasimir Gregory and Lauren Gillis in the Middle

In particular I would like to protest the results from the middle, since anyone running WC was no allowed to even compete in this event.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:43 AM  
Arrr, I can't find out how to edit my posts anymore!

Anyway what I meant to say was that I don't think that the current middle distance results should be counted as qualifying positions for WOC this year, and we should either use the WC results, (Wasn't this the same course anyway?) or organise some sort of Oceania trial.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:45 AM  
http://elitenzotour.weebly.com/

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:47 AM  
For the Oceania spots, I asked Blair (I think, or someone else?) when I was in Australia and apparently, since when the last Oceania champs were held it was not known that the winner would have an automatic spot, they are not offering automatic spots to the winners.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 8 April 2014, 2:53 AM  
Chris. I think the point is since when did people start posting their thoughts rather than first contacting an individual.

Regarding the Oceania issue - the elites need to look at the timing of the World Cup events in Tasmania and the associated Oceania events as these races will dictate the places at the 2015 and 2016 World Champs. A shrewd competitor would forgo a place in the NZ team at the World Cup to concentrate on the Oceania Champs.

Show Profile  mcroxford. Posted: 8 April 2014, 3:29 AM  
You seem to be taking Tane's post as a personal criticism mcroxford. I don't think anybody else sees it as a criticism of you. You have been doing a great job.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 8 April 2014, 4:35 AM  
Firstly, thanks for the feedback that I am actually helping!

Secondly, I did actually take it as personal criticism, it's impossible not to. As Tane reacted when Nick was being cheeky I think it's hard not to react and feel like you have to justify yourself.

So instead of reacting and fueling the issue I had a venting session with a friend then built a bridge and got over it. Hence, why I'm trying to engage in the process and discussion.

Chris said what's the point of Maptalk if it is not to talk about orienteering things.

I agree. That's what maptalk is for. But when phoning someone rather than posting it is an option then phone the person first it helps smooth the way and stops it being taken personally.

Happy trail running! mcroxford.

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 8 April 2014, 5:31 AM  
The Oceania Championships WOC spot only applies to the WOC immediately following Oceania Championships, so the first time it comes into play is 2015. Also, if the Oceania Championships is held in conjunction with the World Cup, the World Cup takes precedence (i.e. the Oceania Champion in M/W21E is the leading Oceania runner in the relevant World Cup event - although there is a provision that the organisers, with SEA approval, may also allow non-World Cup runners to compete before/after the World Cup runners with those runners also being eligible for Oceania placings).

The Oceania Championships part of the IOF Competition Rules (which sets down most of the above) went to the IOF Council meeting last week - I assume it was approved but haven't had confirmation of this.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 8 April 2014, 10:38 AM  
We need to get ourselves a few Blairs in NZ. Anyone seen any floating around. That is delicious clarity.

Show Profile  PaulTS Posted: 8 April 2014, 3:16 PM  
There are many good points above. Here are a couple of tangential comments:

Tane - If you want something to offer Bivouac, you could invite them to Nationals (e.g. to bring Innov8). I've tried asking, but seem to be stuck in their marketing department at the moment.

Tom - excellent plan with the breakdown of squads. You mentioned the upper squads training the lower one. Your plan would also provide an avenue for talent promotion from lesser-known juniors to higher recognition. How do we make your plan happen?

More generally - Facebook is a good way to communicate. We should probably supplement it with other means too. I've discovered the NZ Elite Tour group because of Jamie's snippets. However didn't know this was a group I could join /should join to find out what was going on. Finding many ways to keep the "rank and file" excited by the elite action is good.

Juniors in the Elite tour - this seems a good idea, but I had no idea it was happening. I've just seen the points table and notice this category, but had never heard of it - despite Simon scoring points from TONIC (when he was hobbling round with an ankle that shouldn't have been in a forest!). It's a good move, and gives more people a reason to care about the Elite Tour.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 8 April 2014, 3:40 PM  
Paul, I too have been chasing Inov8 for sponsorship but for the tour. I chased it through 3 different people as it was being sold and got kind friendly responses until it landed on Bivouac's marketing teams' desk and seems to have been promptly ignored. I try to send them regular updates but to no avail. I will keep pestering them though!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 9 April 2014, 2:29 AM  
I (somewhat like Chris) have sworn an oath not to join facebook - kind of like when I was ~10 and every other girl in my class got their ears pierced but I didn't - but now I've heard there is a Carsten Joergensen fan club facebook page and I really feel I should belong to that...

Is it possible to at least put important information on a page that everyone can read whether they belong to facebook or not?

Seeing I knew nothing about the O - tour - it sounds great though - I didn't realise that Tane's post could be taken as a criticicm of anyone. It seemed to be more about trying to find out information.

Anyway this seems more interesting than map scales which is apparently the raging debate in British orienteering circles..

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz