Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 28 November 2002, 5:42 AM  
When?
Where?
Who?
What?
Why?
How?

(not necessarily in that order).
I need to get the time off t.v. (now that my cars fixed).

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 November 2002, 4:42 AM  
Yeah, I'm keen for one and would like another crack at the title. It is an embarrassment to orienteers and beer drinkers New Zealand wide that Neil Kerrison is the current title holder.

As far as I know nothing has been planned so far so it is probably too late for this year but I would be keen for one maybe in January. I would also like to see the format change to a mass start race with a fixed amount of beer, one beer per control.

(Damn those confusing loop race beer Os)

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 29 November 2002, 4:53 AM  
What ? Beer and Orienteering - a collision of everything good and great
When ? Saturday after the Big Day Out Jan 03
Where ? a sunny idilic West Auckland beach
Why ? it would be rude not to... we owe it to the sober youth of nz orienteering
How ? i guess run a bit, drink a bit, run a bit, drink a bit and so on
Who ? all and sundry, born 18 years ago

Edited by - Andrew M on 29/11/2002 13:00:47

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 29 November 2002, 5:21 AM  
I know this should be posted in the "technical" area of the forum....
but I think instead of a beer a control, it should be the same as last year. However, where last year it was something like 3 minutes for the beers before the first loop, 2 minutes before the second and 1 before the third, this time I think it each loop should be worth the same value. The difference being that the first beer you drink at each stopping point is worth 1 minute, the second worth 2 and the third worth three, etc. So if you could drink 10 beers in under 55 minutes you would be making time! This would really incourage some hard drinking!
Perhaps also a "conversion attempt" could be made at the end aswell? Every competitor skulls a beer upon completion of the final loop and the fastest of the day, or under a certain designated time, gains a bonus.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 November 2002, 6:36 AM  
beer must be compulsory

running and orienteering skills should not be rewarded

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 29 November 2002, 6:39 AM  
I agree stu- except beers after the first loop should gain a bonus minute, 2 after the second loop etc.

The problem with a fixed amount of beers is it would probably be fixed at a pus amount.

perhaps instead of an ultra long course we could have a crate-o.
After all a crate day's a great day.

at any rate the emphasis should be on drinking.

Is it a bonus or a penalty for throwing up?

Edited by - Dave Barr on 29/11/2002 14:41:07

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 November 2002, 8:19 AM  
quote:
The problem with a fixed amount of beers is it would probably be fixed at a pus amount.

This could be avoided by making sure that a non pus amount is set.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 29 November 2002, 9:46 AM  
We could introduce bonuses points for any projectile vomiting.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 November 2002, 1:56 PM  
as a non vomiter, one of those who coma before they vomit. I bleieve it would be morally wrong if vomitting was rewarded. There could perhaps be an exception to this if the event is of sufficent duration to allow a competitor to come back from the dead following a solid coma, 6-7hours.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 November 2002, 8:48 AM  
Whens the Big day out?
Isn't there a National Squad camp Jan 03 - Jan 06

Greg's 21st will more than likely be Jan 11 and everyone is more than welcome to come along and drinks lots of beer and if you really want to you can try and orienteer.

Mt Te Aroha race Dec 14th good time for booze-O if people don't mind short notice.

Show Profile  bendover Posted: 2 December 2002, 4:14 AM  
what a fantastic posting. i think beer is a great idea, not sure about orienteering but i guess you have to make some sacrifices in the name of drinking. is it a closed NZ championships or are international guest 'athletes' invited? Freg Glynn and Brames Jadshaw are both drinking wusses anyway, i think they have plenty to prove.

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 2 December 2002, 4:29 AM  
Big Day Out is January 17th ( a Friday so there is a whole weekend ahead)

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 2 December 2002, 4:41 AM  
As National Booze O Champion I agree with above, compulsory drinking for each loop.
Mass start.

I suggest, men:
3 beers, 3 beers, 2 beers
Woman
3 beers, 2 beers 2 beers.

And lastly I'd just like to remind Fraser that I am the Booze O champion.

Neil

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 2 December 2002, 6:11 AM  
Neil, you might as well drink coke.
Surely a dozen would be the absolutely minimum.
I have a new driver.

Jan 11 sounds good. A clash with the BDO might cause a lack of go-hardedness at one or the other of the events.

Edited by - Dave Barr on 2/12/2002 14:14:11

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 2 December 2002, 10:08 AM  
I think the BDO weekend is a good idea although there is a half marathon in the Waitaks organised by Shaun and others?? which would be an unfortunate clash, so Jan 11th sounds good!

I think a dozen is a good bench mark (kinda gives a new meaning to M12), but it should still be just single beers at each control.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 3 December 2002, 12:51 AM  
Just a warning for you retards.

All my training over the last year has been aimed at becoming the beer-o champ.

The fact that Neil can be the champion of anything tears my nightie and I am aiming to strip him of that title (shouldn't be hard).

I agree with frasers idea of having 1 x beer per control or 1 x beer at every second control if the course is long enough.

Or if you want things to get exciting a shot or 2 of something yummy (Taquila) over the lase several controls.

I dont think that the beer-o should just judge a persons ability to drink beer fast. But should judge their overall ability to drink beer fast as well as orienteer in an intoxicated state.

Vomiting should result in disqualification or a large penalty to prevent the woofters spewing all the beer out when the going gets tough.

Also I think a mass start is a must so that the no vomiting rule can be enforced and that we can laugh at former beer-o champs who havn't done the big base training.

Brent

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz