maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

SSSS

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 28 May 2014, 2:29 AM  
At NZSS , NISS & SISS, why not have a policy that if it is the competitors first attempt at an event of that level, then they must run standard grade. So Championship runners must have already competed at such an event previously at Standard level before they can move up.

Exception could be a competitor that is a member of an Orienteering club as one could safely assume that they have solid prior experience.
Other exceptions would have to be in writing to the organisers.

Not sure of the logistics of monitoring compliance with this nor of how it would work at regional level.

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 28 May 2014, 3:08 AM  
Seems like an extra level of administrative complication, Rolf. Did you have the time to check that all the those entered in Champ grade had the experience necessary to compete? I do think that clear guidelines to that effect could be sent but, in the end, you don't want to have to police compliance.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 29 May 2014, 2:14 AM  
Question for the computer savvy: could you, without undue cost/complication, set up an online entry form to do the grade sorting for you?

Results from a qualification event (or events) is a simple list (or lists) of names. School submits its entries (again, a list). Cross-check one list against the other... Bingo, right?

Or... Would it be simpler to just tell each sport coordinator which of their students has qualified for Champs grade?

Show Profile  nick Posted: 29 May 2014, 2:17 AM  
When I say "bingo", I mean "Bob's your uncle"

Of course... any qualification events would need to be notified well in advance.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 29 May 2014, 2:37 AM  
Yep - 'putters can match names if they are spelt the same. Trouble is names are seldom splet the same so a large amount checking is still required. At some multi day events (and six race series) names for the same competitor can be spelled three different ways.
How about we get a national entry system (maybe a bit like Eventor).
A little bit of work up front for the school, but ultimately easier for all concerned.
With a national list of orienteers and event participation, an automatic grade selection could be done.

This may seem like a long way off, but I think we have to get there eventually. Maybe any short/mid-term solutions we implement should have this in mind.

Show Profile  lyns Posted: 4 August 2014, 4:04 AM  
Here is the thread I should have been on. Mike I would definitely like to be involved in any auckland schools working group. Important to have persectives from across the board ie state/ private/ integrated /single sex /coed etc. Not just Dio! ;-). Ithink most of the club parent/ defacto school coordinators would like at least to be invited. I would love to see your paper as well!

Show Profile  lyns Posted: 5 August 2014, 3:15 AM  
Here is the thread I should have been on. Mike I would definitely like to be involved in any auckland schools working group. Important to have persectives from across the board ie state/ private/ integrated /single sex /coed etc. Not just Dio! ;-). Ithink most of the club parent/ defacto school coordinators would like at least to be invited. I would love to see your paper as well!

Show Profile  lyns Posted: 5 August 2014, 3:15 AM  

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz