maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Godzone

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 7 March 2014, 1:55 PM  
See www.godzoneadventure.com for all the news on NZ'S biggest adventure race, with many orienteers spread throughout the teams. Race starts at 6 am tomorrow with live tracking for the week.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 March 2014, 12:49 PM  
Usual addictive stuff when you know people and you know bits of the terrain. Tappy in the dark tho, gee whizz. Wonder why the excellent website is so slow though.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 March 2014, 5:14 PM  
Did Seagate miss out CP11 in the Guide River, or are they so fast they went in-out between tracker signals?

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 9 March 2014, 9:39 PM  
From godzone facebook post "Course update: CP11 on the big Molesworth mountain bike is out of play due to circumstances beyond our control. Teams will just continue mountain biking down the Molesworth to Hamner. It's a pity because there was some wicked single track to fiz down the other side of Barefell Pass."

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 March 2014, 10:59 PM  
Not sure there is really any route choice on the Glen Wye trek. You would be made to follow the route the organisers indicate.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 March 2014, 12:27 AM  
looks like I'm proven wrong already by the first team to do it. Can't help thinking there is a better route to the west with just the one pass to Jollie Brook unless there are some restrictions in place. Brent might give it a go.

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 10 March 2014, 2:16 AM  
The Godzone team give a bit of info on the route choice options for the Glynn Wye trek on the Route page once you select that leg and read through the detailed description.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 10 March 2014, 8:26 AM  
Brent's giving a different route a go

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 March 2014, 8:47 AM  
wow I was totally wrong, they all went straight over the top.

Seagate nailed it

Absolute Wilderness and Brents team have both peeled off wrong ridges.

Its going to be carnage in the dark.Luckily the bulk of teams won't get there until light tomorrow.

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 10 March 2014, 9:10 AM  
Yep Seagate nailed it. I think it's a cunning ploy by Brent with darkness looming - the streams will be more navigtable at night...From memory there is a hut and track in there too...give the man some credit...great choice by the organisers not to put controls in this area...mind you (apart from seagate) at their current progress the other teams won't make the dark zone on the hurunui anyway...so you could do a tiki tour of the jollie brook at night and still be in the game for the minor placings. hats off to Seagate but I see parallels in this to when I use to rogaine - if Chris Forne turned up then the rest of the field were racing for second lol...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 March 2014, 9:42 AM  
Nah Brents blown it. They'll be lucky to get out of there in 6th

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 10 March 2014, 10:51 AM  
I agree that is it hard to see how Seagate's route for the Glenn Wye trek can be bettered.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 March 2014, 11:39 AM  
Looks to me like that little forested ridge is the key to the whole area. Might even have a faint track on it? Can't see why, if you we're standing at the N end, you'd do anything but cross it. Absolute Wilderness are going miles out of the way on Jollie Stream.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 March 2014, 12:18 PM  
Sitting here hoping that Matt/Emily and co are going to try the route up Kakapo stream and over the pass into Jollie Brook...where it seems Laras team is now heading via the ridge.

Richard Anderson has a good history of navigating in these races, loooks like R&R sport may be moving into second, or possibly third behind Absolute Wilderness when the routes come back together.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 March 2014, 12:28 PM  
Yeah I like the Kakapo option too. Simple, minimum climb. Good one for night time maybe? Matt/Emily are right at the decision point...

I don't see Brent making the climb out of Red Creek in time to meet Absolute WIlderness or R&R.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 March 2014, 12:31 PM  
Yeah nah it looks like they're going over.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz