maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

City Safari 2014

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 February 2014, 8:54 AM  
It's back for 2014! New Zealand's fun-iest rogaine is on Sunday 18 May. The event where you can race sitting down, courtesy of Wellington's Metlink public transport network. www.citysafari.org.nz Entries open in March.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 March 2014, 7:56 AM  
Entries now open on the fresh website. Start this year is in Civic Square.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 April 2014, 5:29 PM  
The City Safari is a month away. Live scoring by mobile phone will be used, with progress scores sent back to you every 30 minutes. Results will also be posted to Facebook. The system is being tested on afterwork rogaines.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 May 2014, 5:18 AM  
Fortuitously timed meetings mean that all of a sudden I'm in Wellington with a day to kill on city safari day. If there is anyone out there looking for a partner for a 'walking' team (under physio's orders unfortunately) preferably for the 3 hour but could be talked into the 6 if DEFINITELY NO RUNNING, shoot me a message at nic_gorman at yahoo dot com dot au by this sunday morning. Or Kevin, Michael if there is a useful role I could fill on the day instead of competing, do the same.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 May 2014, 6:16 AM  
Noted Nic. Others, reminder that entries close on Sunday 11th, that's two days away. With a new manager there are heaps of innovations. But the same fun of a moving playing field:-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2014, 2:12 PM  
Tremendous day with well over 500 people out on the buses, trains, ferry, cablecar and some even used their feet. Top in the 3hr event Ewen and Jago Dellow from Pauatahanui, they've been regulars and obviously made use of their experience. Kotuku Sea Scouts from Levin have also regularly brought several teams and their No. 2 team was just behind the Dellows. Honours in the 6hr went to "3s a Crowd" which I THINK was an expansion of the Katherine Allen/Cameron Durno team, well-performed multisporters. They were just 20 pts ahead of previous winner, city councillor Andy Foster running with Godzoner Mark Hearfield, followed by WOC junior team of Rachel Baker, Elle Molloy, Stuart Engleback and Simon T-S. Provisional results here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metlink-City-Safari/114743651936790

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2014, 2:27 PM  
The event this year started with the usual 10min prologue with a fresh look since the HQ was in Civic Square this time. The main course had clusters of controls at Seatoun, Newtown, Northland, Johnsonville, Tawa and Petone, with a jungle route over the hills between the latter. Also a bunch of controls that could be got while ON public transport, and any unvisited prologue points could also be mopped in in your spare time.

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 19 May 2014, 3:03 AM  
Big article on the front page of the Dominion Post today:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/10057779/Orienteering-family-all-at-sea-on-raceday

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 May 2014, 3:36 AM  
Full results on the website last night. Includes routes taken by each team for both prologue and main event. They were based on when the answers were texted in so could be some anomalies. www.citysafari.org.nz

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 May 2014, 7:39 AM  
Final numbers 570, best Safari so far. Prologue map and questions are on the OHV website: www.ohv.org.nz and "Anytime Orienteering". Thanks to WOC for the map.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 21 May 2014, 9:17 AM  
How can we find out more about the txting / live scoring system? The FB page indicates it generally worked well but a few tech glitches. Can others use it??

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 May 2014, 4:12 AM  
I'd like to find out more myself Rolf. So far its a system run by its programmer, give us a bit of time to wrap up the event. BTW numbers were 532, forgot to deduct some no-pays and no-shows.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 May 2014, 3:21 AM  
A good look at the flavour of the event through the eyes of John Randal. John (aka Sifter) is a cycling nutter but every so often he can be coaxed off his bike for a good event.

http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/2014-metlink-city-safari-aka-sifters.html

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz