maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Nationals Website

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 14 April 2014, 7:10 AM  
Query: According to the programme, Course 2 of the Long Distance has a 1:15000 map for "M/W21" and 1:10000 for "M21A and M35". What scale will the M20A grade get?

Other than this small uncertainty, the programme contains a wealth of information and is well worth the price. Well done.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 14 April 2014, 7:17 AM  
1:10000

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 15 April 2014, 11:11 AM  
From the website:
"Shadowing a Junior. Parents or caregivers who have requested to “shadow” a junior may do so. The results for the junior will be unofficial."

To be honest I can't see what good this achieves for the sport in general, and in particular for the youngsters who are having a go in the M10 and W10 classes. They just want a result, like the grownups, perhaps more so. They are not going to distort the results - the 9 and 10 year olds who are more confident in their white level navigation are going to win these races. Would they rather win a race with only 5 competitors in it or with 10 competitors? I would suggest the only way a shadowed child who needs help with their navigation is going to win one of these races is if a) the course is not set correctly, or b) there aren't enough competitors entered.

Let's look at another way of doing it. At TONIC there was punch-to-start for parents shadowing children, so they could get their race(s) out of the way first. The TONIC sprint map had several roads, none of which were closed to traffic. We told our 7 year old he had to do all the navigation himself but we would follow him at a distance. This ensured he could be monitored when crossing roads, and if he did get lost or come to grief in some way, then it was going to a) be less traumatic having an adult immediately on hand, b) not ruin a competitor's race having to deal with it. He completed that race with no help whatsoever, and quite rightly got an official result. It would have been really demotivating to have that effort be deemed unofficial.
I'd challenge the organisers to think carefully about what they are really trying to achieve with this ruling.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 15 April 2014, 4:05 PM  
Hi Jeff. Not sure how to resolve this one. My eldest is 8. Super confident and highly motivated to win. He takes M10 very seriously. I don't know where he gets his competitiveness from- not me. But we'll shadow our youngest who's 6 because he's capable but still lacking in confidence. I think I see three phases for the 10 & under. 1. with them (should be unofficial), 2. shadowing (official but perhaps the adult should wear a high vis so it's clear that they should not be helping their child) 3. unassisted.

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 15 April 2014, 4:11 PM  
Start lists (for each day) is now available on http://nzoc14.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/ near the top.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz