maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Welington Champs Sprint

Show Profile  inghamma Posted: 14 August 2013, 1:38 PM  
WOA Sprint Champs - something old, something new

The WOA Sprint Champs will be held as part of the Labour Weekend 3-day which will also feature the WOA Long and Middle Distance Champs.

Whereas these two events will have the normal format we plan something rather different for the Sprint - especially for the elites. The Sprint will be on the Sunday of the long weekend and will have the following format:

(1) M21E and W21E - in the morning a qualifying sprint at Ekatahuna, in the afternoon knock sprint semi-finals and final for the top runners from the morning at Rathkeale College.

(2) All other grades - a double sprint times to be added - race 1 in the morning at Ekatahuna, race 2 in the afternoon at Rathkeale.

What we envisage for the elites is taking, for both the men and the women, the top 12 or 16 finishers in the morning (depending on the number of entries) and dividing them into two semi-finals. These will be short (8-9 minute) mass start sprints and probably the first 2 in each semi-final plus the next say 2 or 4 fastest over both semis will proceed to the final, which will take the same format. Those in M and W21E who don't make the semi-finals will run a second normal sprint in the afternoon as for the other grades.

Qualifying sprints with knock-out semis and finals have been held as part of the Nordic O Tour for several years and add a new dimension to sprint racing. It is usual that there is some butterfly looping so that knock-out races don't simply become straight running races. To our knowledge this will be the first time it has been tried in New Zealand.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 14 August 2013, 3:32 PM  
This sounds awesome! I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or thankful that my back-of-field M21E days are over

Show Profile  addison Posted: 14 August 2013, 9:25 PM  
Sounds fantastic Malcolm!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 August 2013, 1:24 AM  
Awesome!

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 15 August 2013, 4:02 AM  
Details and photos about the sprints can be found here:

http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/woa2013/woa2013.htm

The sprints promises to be a little bit different.

Most of you have cruised past Eketahuna - some of you have blinked and missed it - now is your chance to see it in detail - trust me, you won't be disappointed. Come and visit 'real New Zealand' - the stereotypical rural New Zealand town.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 15 August 2013, 4:20 AM  
And I think another first for a sprint - the Eketahuna sprint will have negative climb.

Show Profile  inghamma Posted: 24 September 2013, 12:35 PM  
Entry for WOA Champs is now open at http://wn.orienteering.org.nz/events/woa-champs/

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz