maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

StatNav - New Zealand's Unofficial Orienteering Rankings

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 19 May 2013, 11:28 AM  
1. Good. It's the only logical way to do it.

2. I understand about it not being a bell curve but I still don't understand about eliminating the last 10%. You're working with a data from the population of finishers not a sample therefore I don't see why you would drop the longest results. My memory is that the principle of discounting outliers only applies when you have reason to believe that they are not representative of the population. That can only occur when sampling, not when using population data.

3. I agree with Michael. Publish your sprint rankings and let's see how much they differ from both the non-sprint data and the combined sprint/non-sprint data.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 May 2013, 4:38 PM  
2. I get what you're saying Hugh, but is there also an argument that each race (set of results per course) is a sample of the population of NZ resident orienteers? I'm not sure which is the more valid treatment in this context though.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 20 May 2013, 2:00 AM  
It may be useful to think of it as each course/event having a sample of the ranked population.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 May 2013, 6:46 AM  
Someone who has completely stuffed up is not representative of the spread of abilities. On a whim, they may carry on, walk home through the controls, or give up (no result at all). I can surmise that these randomly long times are no use to us. On the other hand a super-fast time represents real ability.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 20 May 2013, 2:41 PM  
2. I am a classic example of the long tail (no pun intended) - I sometimes make a really big error, but never have a correspondingly super fast run to make up for it. The population is therefore not a bell curve and the standard deviations used to calculate the points therefore wont work as well. Hence removing the tail means the curve is a better shape for calculating standard deviations. Then everyone gets correct(ish) standard deviations applied to their results - regardless of whether they are in the tail or not.
3. I think the selected sprints should be in the rankings and not separate. One list is easier to manage and is more representative. If some feel that real orienteering happens in the forest, I am quite fond of unreal orienteering and think all forms of the game should count toward the rankings.

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 26 May 2013, 3:30 PM  
The May rankings have now been published at www.statnav.co.nz

In summary, a quiet month but there is a new leader in M16 while in Dunedin, Phil Wood finally gets the recognition he deserved all along following the correction of Tane Cambridge's Club affiliation. More details on the "Monthly Update" page.

Note that in June the only ranking events are the three days of CM's Queens Birthday event so June rankings should appear around the second week of next month.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 17 June 2013, 4:09 AM  
Thank you StatNav for the June update. A few big movers in the Junior Boys grades (M16/M18) after the Queens Birthday fun.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 June 2013, 4:52 AM  
I would rather see people who run elite like Rachel Smith get an elite ranking, rather than a ranking for a grade she has never run.

Maybe they can be put in more than one ranking list.

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 17 June 2013, 5:07 AM  
Rob, the Women's Ranking list is effectively an "elite" ranking as it includes all women regardless of age. It is rather hidden at the moment - you click on "Women" under Grade Rankings rather than going an extra level down to the age grade. I'll look at redesigning this to make it more obvious.

The top of the Women's ranking list is well worth a visit this month. Unlike the junior grades that Dwayne highlighted there were only small changes here. Rachel Smith dropped a mere six points while Georgia Whitla gained the same amount but this was enough for the two of them to swap first and second places.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 23 July 2013, 3:11 PM  
Noticed a nice new feature on StatNav. Event Pages.
Check out your points for the latest races and see if you will improve your ranking. Shows your average points before the race and the points gained from the race.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 August 2013, 5:36 AM  
Thanks Mr Statnav for your continuing work. Congrats Georgia for the highest "count", true dedication!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 November 2013, 5:43 AM  
St Atnav continues to survey us from above. This month sees 7 "new" names in the top 100. But only new to the list, most are well-known orienteers reappearing after a gap. So a small drop may not actually mean a drop in standard. Big jumps after the Auck and Wgtn Champs include Duncan Morrison and Callum Hill (+13) Sarah Gray (+17) Simon Teesdale (+_22) and Tommy Hayes (a whopping +31!)

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 13 November 2013, 7:43 AM  
Michael, I notice your count of races is higher than Georgia by 1 (27). And Kayla as well. We can see who the travellers are...

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 13 November 2013, 3:54 PM  
And a huge leap of 41 places by myself!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 March 2014, 10:07 AM  
No action since November? Not surprised if you are tired of the work involved Mr Statnav, if you came out from your cloak of anonymity we could recognise your fine efforts.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz