maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Cal'Orie: Orienteering Carnival in New Caledonia in November 2013

Show Profile  angela Posted: 28 April 2013, 1:47 PM  
Orienteering Carnival in New Caledonia on 9-11 November 2013. 2 middle + 1 sprint distance. Day 1 is on a new map!A perfect summer break after end-of year exams, an early summer holiday and new terrain for us NZ'ers to explore. As an international event close to home it would be good if NZ could support our Oceania friends and send a big group over. Terrain looks similar to WUOC in Spain, ultramafic soil with scrub and clear areas. Return flights to Noumea from Auckland on AirCalin are now approx. $850.

Show Profile  angela Posted: 28 April 2013, 1:50 PM  
See brochure, terrain photos and map snippets on NZOF facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Zealand-Orienteering-Federation/353993084879

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 April 2013, 5:12 AM  
was just thinking this morning I must start looking for more info about this, as it was the one brochure floating around in January that I somehow didn't keep a copy of... So I'm a probable starter and have been thinking about heading to the hills afterwards for a bit of wildlife spotting or whatever so if there's anyone else who wants to make a week or so's trip out of it...

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 31 July 2013, 8:33 AM  
More english information has been to the website about this event. Three days of events with 6 courses from White (easy to Black (technical and longest) Don't seem to have age grades (yet) http://www.convergence.nc and then select Cal'Orie2013 on the left had side of the web page. I sent an email and got more details from the organiser. Contact me if you want this sent through. It would be good for NZ to support this event as their club members have travelled here for the last few Oceania events.

Show Profile  davidp Posted: 4 August 2013, 1:34 AM  
Please share with orienteers in New Caledonia and New Zealand - Pan Pacific Sub-Junior Orienteering Challenge. All children aged 14 years and under entered in A and B events(including children from NZ and NC) who enter the Australian Orienteering Championships are included into this team based challenge. Teams will be established once we know which who has entered the Aus Champs. check out http://auschamps2013.com/. where can I send an info flyer to?

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 8 September 2013, 3:04 AM  
Evenet information for CalOrie in New Caledonia 9-11 Nov is now on the webpage

http://www.convergence.nc/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=473

Air NZ has some special prices on offer today.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 8 November 2013, 4:33 PM  
First race tomorrow, at Tontouata (close to the international airport, so based on what I saw from the air, looks like we should expect savannah woodland on rolling spur-gulley terrain) - hopefully there'll be the chance to report tomorrow night

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 November 2013, 5:49 PM  
A map with Australian style contours and a green and gold colour scheme to match, favouring the slow and accurate over the quick and less so. It was also the site of an American WW2 base so concrete pads hidden in the long grass and acacias were popular control sites. No idea how we fit in overall results as they will only be published after the weekend, but Ian took first blood in the battle of the kiwis mere seconds ahead of Nic, while Raewyn will be hoping for a complete reversal tomorrow;

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 November 2013, 3:50 PM  
So ends a fascinating 3 days of orienteering... yesterday's map at Parc Riviere Bleue consisted of lots of small blocks of varying vegetation in amongst a grid of tracks, ditches, gaps, and the remains of an old forestry railway line - courses much harder than they look on paper. Today can only be described as orienteering on Mars... a hill that had previously been stripmined for iron ore. While definitely the most challenging day for the NZ contingent we got around without being eaten by the carnivorous plants, and at the end of the 3 days we had a 100% podium record for the competition overall: Raewyn 2nd femmes course rouge, Nic and Ian 2nd & 3rd hommes course rouge. Nevermind that the overall winner of the course has just turned 14...

Show Profile  angela Posted: 13 November 2013, 2:53 PM  
Awesome effort NZer's! True explorer skills being used by the sound of it

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 17 November 2013, 2:03 PM  
This was an incredible country in which to attend an orienteering event. Amazing variety of maps in stunning areas, really friendly orienteers who made us so welcome, organising camping gear, sharing food and picnics with us. They really know how to picnic in style, tables, chairs, wine and fresh expresso coffee! If you ever get the chance to go to an event here grab it with both hands. Language no problem!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz