maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Godzone

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 7 March 2013, 2:18 AM  
Hi

For those interested, from early Sunday morning various national and international orienteers will be competing in the Godzone Adventure Race (http://www.godzoneadventure.com/) a 513km nonstop adventure race finishing at Queenstown, hopefully 4-6 days and nights later.

They normally have quite a good live website, with a live map where you can track the location of each team, also lots of photos, videos and news updates. Last year there was even a short nightly update on 3 news.

I am part of team Macpac (number 17), the lone Kiwi with a bunch of Australians including Rob and Kathryn Preston (Australian elite orienteers)

There will likely be some good chat on facebook as well. http://www.facebook.com/godzoneadventure

Other orienteers include:
Chris Forne, arguably the best adventure racer in the world with Team Seagate. Aaron Prince and Stu Lynch imported from the Northern Hemisphere with Team Harraways Oats. Tim Farrant and Emily Wall with The Go Team. Greig Hamilton with AWS Legal, and probably a few more which I have missed.

Cheers Brent

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 March 2013, 6:52 AM  
Quite a few other names I recognise from rogaining circles. Team Bridgedale Socks are all regular rogainers from Welly. Marcel Hagener (Team Thule) won the 2010 world rogaine championship with Chris Forne. Jim Cotter (Pak n Save) is a DOC committee member I think. Kath Copland (It's All Good) though down as an Aussie is kiwi-born and was in the NZ team at the 2008 World MTBO Champs. Good to see Tim Sikma back from WA (Sheep Eaters!) And of course Greig Hamilton who is in two teams. Will he have to do each stage three times and which team will get his services first?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 7 March 2013, 10:01 AM  
Not to mention your fellow Nelson Orienteering Club members Brent!!! : Nathan Fa'avae, Sophie Hart, Trevor Voyce, Nick Ross and Sakie Mayer!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 March 2013, 5:56 PM  
Close race at the front - when I look at the tracking I can't see Seagate. Just flicked out that their little flag is hidden by Harraways Oats, you can see if you zoom in.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 11 March 2013, 4:02 AM  
Aaron on 3news http://www.3news.co.nz/Icebergs-feature-in-day-one-of-GODZone/tabid/317/articleID/289708/Default.aspx

Live tracking at http://live.godzoneadventure.com/tracking/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 5:28 AM  
The red line from the organisers is not much of a guide. Seagate had already BEEN to CP11 when I thought they had fallen off the lead, is a bit in front of Oats. Macpac in third following the red line. I'm having trouble refreshing the tracking screen, had to exit and come back in?

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 11 March 2013, 6:47 AM  
According to the live tracking, Brent has made a big mistake. I can only assume it's stinking hot down there and he needed a swim in the lake.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 6:48 AM  
Jim Cotter on TVNZ http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/godzone-expedition-gets-underway-video-5364839

Is Macpac in trouble or do they have a boat hidden on Lake Hawea? The close racing is now for 3rd place.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 11 March 2013, 6:51 AM  
It is a legit route choice according to the race director. Flat but adds 20k.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 7:54 AM  
Or a route choice round the lake edge or via a lower saddle? Hey looking ahead to the next cycle section, what stops you using SH8/8A?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 11 March 2013, 9:56 AM  
Yeah interesting RC for Macpac. Looks like it was long but pretty fast though. They were 3hrs51mins behind Seagate/Harraways at the last transition, but now they are only about 10km (maybe 2.5hrs?) down the valley from Harraways. THey have put massive time into Thule.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 11 March 2013, 10:23 AM  
Just did a quick and dirty comparison on Memory-map. Macpac's RC to CP12 is about 10km (ish) longer but has maybe 1600-1800m less climbing (off track), than the Segate/Harraway route, so it might benefit their legs in the long run.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 12:13 PM  
Which team is Jeremy Clarkson in, they'll take the beach route for sure.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 12:17 PM  
...massive time into Thule. Who appear to have retired.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 11 March 2013, 1:42 PM  
Macpac must've smashed the road run. The Brazilian's have chosen same RC but aren't moving as quick.

I'm a bit worried about Ox (Orion). Way off course, haven't moved for a long time.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 11 March 2013, 1:55 PM  
Navigation is not Wayne's strong point. At least they have a flat section now.

I prefered Harraway's route over the past few hours to Seagate's.

Brent and Robbie really got the route choice right, and as Darren said that could really save their legs for later in the course. The teams doing this leg at night should go that way for sure.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz