maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Fences or not

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 28 January 2013, 3:33 AM  
I think all events at Oceania included Fences on the map. I for one was surprised!
I was expecting the World Cup to have fences as it seems to be necessary for WRE, but wonder why the rest of us had them on the map at Oceania.

It does seem that we are compromising the challenge of O in NZ terrain to satisfy some rules set on the other side of the planet!

Including fences 1) makes it harder for the course setter to create a challenging course 2) makes it a much easier O challenge for competitors.
The only reason to have fences included (that I can think of ) is to ensure no-one is disadvantaged by having to climb more fences by choosing a different route than other competitors. Surely that is a fairly trivial problem!

I wonder what our overseas visitors think about this issue and whether the World Cup stars would have liked the fences removed from their map?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 January 2013, 8:48 AM  
A few people would like some fences at Rotoiti...

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 28 January 2013, 9:11 AM  
You didn't run into the ones in small circles around tomato plants? The mens elite course was altered to avoid them.

Show Profile  murrays Posted: 31 January 2013, 8:27 AM  
i found them anyway which suggests i was off course. that might explain why i struggled to find the controls!

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 February 2013, 1:05 PM  
Hmmm, it looks like everyone is 'over' this issue and have just accepted we have fences on maps. Pity...
I wish our controllers would just have the balls to ignore IOF guidelines when we know they don't suit us in NZ. What consequences are we worried about??

Or perhaps lots of people think we should have fences on our maps... how times have changed since 2007(?) NZ champs when CMOC got hammered on this very forum for having fences on the maps.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 February 2013, 9:46 PM  
We seem to do a lot less high quality racing on farmland than we used to.

Not many races in Taupo or the Awhitu peninsula these days, so perhaps the issue is not quite as evident.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 18 February 2013, 3:41 AM  
Well said Rolf. Maps cost a great deal to produce and Clubs can get a lot more use out of a map if there are no internal fences shown. Using SI has allowed Planners to have controls away from paddock centres, but if all fences are shown even SI doesn't help that much. In daylight, Red Course competitors shouldn't need to rely on fences. Use your skills and experience - there are plenty of other features on the map to navigate from. It certainly sorts out the best orienteer.

Having said that I believe Sprint Course maps need all fences shown. For the last few years the Katoa Po maps have had all fences shown for night orienteering.

Planners and Controllers should be allowed the flexibility to decide whether all fences should be shown or not. The older the map, the harder it is to plan fresh courses if all fences are shown.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 February 2013, 7:05 AM  
My personal view is that there's a difference between events for an international audience (when we should observe international norms) and events for a NZ audience (when we may be justified in taking a NZ view). If there's going to be a change in the common practice (which is that fences may be left off) I would hope that it would follow debate between the technical committee and certificated controllers. There hasn't been any communication for over five years.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz