maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

ANZ Challenge

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 December 2012, 1:37 PM  
Now the excitement of picking the World Cup team has peaked, the next thing is the ANZ Challenge which runs during Oceania. Is this the first time it will be run over 4 events - sprint middle long and relay? The Ozzies have just announced their team: http://www.orienteering.asn.au/news/?ItemID=8677 In the classes I know something about it looks pretty strong.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 December 2012, 10:17 AM  
Is it OK to announce the team before the world ends?

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 20 December 2012, 1:15 PM  
^like

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 21 December 2012, 12:41 AM  
Just wondering if it is a misprint but it shows that the challenge long will be run on a 1- 15000 scale for courses 1-7, gosh I havn't run on that scale for at least 20 years.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 21 December 2012, 1:49 AM  
Not a misprint - courses 1-7 will be printed at 1:15000.

Just testing out your orienteering skills on different scales from 1:10000, 1:7500, 1:5000, 1:4000 and 1:15000.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 December 2012, 3:22 AM  
http://www.nzorienteering.com/news/NZOF-2013-ANZ-Challenge-Selection-Announcement.pdf

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 23 December 2012, 5:24 AM  
Bryan,for what reason would you be printing 1-15000 maps for the 50 to 65's. If you are doing this to those grades why don't you do the elites in 1-50,000 and let them run around with a great big magnifier on their hands, and see what they say. I do hope you were just joking.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 23 December 2012, 1:49 PM  
Wait for the map. I'm over 50 and I could read this map
perfectly well without magnifier or glasses on low resolution laser print at 1:15000 (and I have to use glasses now). With the final digital print being a lot clearer, my personal view (and the controller) was the Oceania Long was a better challenge at this scale for these classes.

Some of the other maps (Oceania middle) have been blown up to 1:5000 for older classes to increase clarity for the visually impaired.

It was our call to make and you will probably end up disagreeing with me - it looks like you may have already closed your mind but if not I think you may enjoy the challenge.

WRE requires 1:15000 for elites unless you get a special dispensation.

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 24 December 2012, 12:48 AM  
where in orienteering is the scale of the map classed as a "challenge".You may be able to read the map as you sit at home but what is it like under race mode,and when you have quick glances at it on the way.If you want us to have a "challenge" why don,t you bag the maps in opaque bags or is the map so easy that you have to use the scale as a "challenge". So as you may detect I don't see that using the scale as a "challenge" should come as a criteria for how good or bad a map is, that should only be done with course setting, the area used and what has been drawn on the map

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 24 December 2012, 1:32 AM  
The map is not easy.

One of the skills and challenges of orienteering is being able to run on different scales. It is a part of orienteering and being able to read a map and judge distance. Of course there are many other challenges on the map. I don't see how you can go from my words using the scale as a challenge (which is must be as people are unused to 1:15000) and then relate this with the map being too easy and how good or bad a map is.

Bagging maps in opaque bags is nonsense. Orienteering at different scales is not.

Enough said, no point in arguing with someone I don't know or can't talk to.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 December 2012, 1:46 AM  
If the mapper has resisted the urge to show every nook and cranny then 15,000 will be fine. There's a sense of perspective with a smaller scale that I like, provided I can see what I need to. We can't judge until afterwards, Flash.

Now back on the challenge, can we win? What difference will having 4 events make? The most exciting result will be a see-sawing battle that isn't resolved until the relay:-))

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 24 December 2012, 2:33 AM  
Fair enough Bryan I will reserve judgment untill after the run and just say that we agree to disagree. I will catch up with you at the event.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 December 2012, 9:24 AM  
Flash, to get your eyes ready you could practise reading the programme printed on your home printer:-)) Others, how do you get Adobe to print A3 on multiple A4 sheets?

Show Profile  JohnR Posted: 28 December 2012, 1:33 PM  
iof rule 15.8
The map scale shall be 1,10.000 for 45 and older

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 December 2012, 1:45 PM  
If you are going to quote rules, quote the properly, rule 15.8 states "WMOC 15.8 The map for age classes 45 and above shall be at a scale of 1:10000, and this scale may be used for all classes with the approval of the IOF Event Adviser. For the Sprint, the scale shall be 1:4000 or 1:5000."
Which means it applies to World Masters Orienteering Champs, not every race.

The rules you want are "15.1 Maps, course markings and additional overprinting shall be drawn and printed according to the IOF International Specification for Orienteering Maps or the IOF International Specification for Sprint Orienteering Maps. Deviations need approval by the IOF Council.
15.2 The map scale for Long distance races shall be 1:15000. The map scale for Middle distance races and for Relays shall be1:15000 or 1:10000. The map scale for Sprint shall be 1:5000 or 1:4000."

Then following on from that ISOM-2000 states under 3 MAP SPECIFICATION FOR FOOT-ORIENTEERING "3.1 Scale - The scale for an orienteering map is 1:15 000. Terrain that cannot be fieldworked at a scale of 1:7 500 and legibly
presented at a scale of 1:15 000, is not suitable for international foot-orienteering. Maps at 1:10 000 may be produced for relay and short distance competitions. The scale 1:10 000 is recommended
for older age groups (age classes 45 and above) where reading fine lines and small symbols may cause
problems or for younger age groups(age classes 16 and below) where the capacity of reading complex maps is
not fully developed."

So unless there are fine lines and small symbols the organisers are well within the rules to print all maps at 1:15,000.

There is an important part for all mappers - "The scale for an orienteering map is 1:15 000. Terrain that cannot be fieldworked at a scale of 1:7 500 and legibly
presented at a scale of 1:15 000, is not suitable"

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 28 December 2012, 1:53 PM  
piss off with that last paragraph.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz