maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Additional note for World Cup triallists

Show Profile  Oldhat Posted: 22 November 2012, 3:26 AM  
The fees for any events that you decide not to run because of World Cup selection will be transferred to your World Cup entry (the 2/3rd bit).
Those selected will need to let me know what the outcome of their selection on the races they are running as soon as they are selected.

In addition, Oceania Technical Controller, Malcolm Ingham, advises that if you run in the middle distance trial at Osgiliath on 1 December you will not be eligible to run officially in Day 2 of the Oceania Carnival.

Stuart Payne
General Manager
New Zealand Orienteering Federation

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 November 2012, 11:41 AM  
So the NZOF is putting 8% (33% - 25% they get back) towards a fee that shouldn't even exist. (no other countries pay for their own WC races, the organisers budget that into everyone else's fees)

Off some really rough calculations, based on current entries, there is about $100,057 in entries fees, which NZOF gets 25% = $25,014 extra into the coffer this coming year.

WC entry fees are $335 per person. No break down for each race so it could end up costing a NZ rep $223.33 to run 1 sprint qualification race. Plus the $75 trial fee because the carnival is going to miss out on revenue from triallists being unofficial for a warm up event.

I'm glad everyone is behind the WC team 100% and not out to make money off them

Show Profile  Bryn Posted: 22 November 2012, 11:49 AM  
Well said Greg!!!

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 22 November 2012, 12:10 PM  
Im 100% behind your logic Greg!

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 22 November 2012, 11:06 PM  
It seems incredible the federation can pay up to $10,000 to have at team at a World Champs, which is on every year, and can't offer more financial support for this really big event where runners will have some local advantage and massive local support. As Greg says, no other team will be paying for entry fees.

Not too late to rethink this one.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 23 November 2012, 3:27 AM  
I also can't fathom why the NZOF can't pay the entry fees for the 20 NZ World Cup runners - it only costs $6700 when
they are already getting from Greg's calculations more than $25000 from the Oceania carnival. It just seems penny pinching to me.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 23 November 2012, 4:12 AM  
You could possibly add another $5,000 from the supporting events too... (pre-Oceania, Taupo, SIOC, STB(?)). Out of curiosity what percentage of the $335 per WC entrant does NZOF get? Any?

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz