maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Privacy Issues

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 September 2012, 9:19 AM  
Another thread might become bogged down with privacy issues. Here's a place for those discussions. Facebook might be the initial focus, but we could also for example ponder Maptalk, mailing lists gathered by clubs for events, etc etc.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 September 2012, 9:21 AM  
Come over here Hugh. Your illustration had less to do with Facebook than with "surveys" carried out by NZ companies.

Those who know FB, please advise on the merits and demerits of open and closed groups, groups vs pages, etc.

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 26 September 2012, 9:46 AM  
You're half right, Michael. The article I linked on the other thread illustrates how data is gathered using the NZ Post Genius survey. However it also specifially mentions the presence in NZ of a known FB customer:
"One of the world's largest [information] brokers, Acxiom, has a New Zealand office on Karangahape Rd in central Auckland."

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 26 September 2012, 2:40 PM  
What's this thread all about?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 26 September 2012, 3:01 PM  
We would like to share with you Selwyn the purpose of this thread. However, for privacy reasons we cannot divulge the purpose nor whether any New Zealand residents were or were not involved.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 26 September 2012, 3:41 PM  
Awesome. I zoomed into the picture in the Herald (from the link on the other thread) and found my house. Block of 7 townhouses - 5 retired (white), 1 rich dude (red), and my place was pink - they've got us pegged At least my junk mail will be stuff I might be interested in.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 September 2012, 3:52 AM  
Jane and other facexperts, can you get rid of the ads? And if (as my googling suggests, the ads are tailored to the viewer) why am I getting lingerie ones?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 September 2012, 3:58 AM  
PS. The ads seemed to have disappeared from Maptalk. Nice. Should we who benefit find a way to support it financially?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 September 2012, 5:29 AM  
Michael, there is an add-on for Firefox (and possibly other open-source browsers that are out there but it doesn't work with Explorer) called Ad-block plus, that hides advertising from websites. If you get it expect to spend a little bit of time tinkering with the settings as sometimes it's not entirely accurate what it recognises as advertising (the log-in button for my webmail was an early, slightly inconvenient victim) - the simplest thing to do is to set it to not act on regularly visited sites where wither things like this happen or you do want to see the advertising. I suspect though there's a bit of an ongoing arms race with sites like Facebook depending on advertising revenue- every now and then I'll find advertising appear on sites that I normally don't for a few days...

Show Profile  darren Posted: 29 September 2012, 6:18 AM  
I find the easiest way to not have to worry about the ads is just not to look at them. No need to change your settings, just the direction your eyes point. The ads on FB only ever seem to appear on the right hand side of the browser page and are pretty easy to ignore.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 29 September 2012, 4:29 PM  
I am with Darren, I just never see the ads. I am the worst Facebook client ever - don't use a picture, don't have a cover photo, have no data displayed on my timeline and ignore the ads. But Hugh is right, the advertisers can still stalk you but I feel safe enough.

I found this on the FB Data User Policy....
"We only provide data to our advertising partners or customers after we have removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it, or have combined it with other people's data in a way that it is no longer associated with you."

If you clamp down/ tick all the security boxes to have only your friends see your info then seems nothing is public information.

I am sure the kids don't mind their formal pictures going into the public arena but it is good their casual ones can be monitored by the administrators of the group page. At least those that join the group are like-minded orienteers so will understand some of the comments.

What I like about the page is that the kids can see who is supporting them .. nearly 150 watching this week...unlike maptalk where they don't really know how many are taking an interest.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 29 September 2012, 11:50 PM  
If there is a FB ad that you really don't like you can hover over it until the x appears in the top right corner. Click on that and you can remove it and others like it. They will be replaced by others though

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz