maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Travel Insurance

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 September 2012, 5:40 PM  
A place to share experiences.

I was offered a policy by a travel agent that appeared to exclude from medical cover any sort of sport competition. I was prepared for an exclusion for bike racing (MTBO) but it seemed that foot orienteering would be out too.

I have an insurance broker and asked them for a policy. They gave me one that didn't exclude running races, and it didn't even appear to exclude bike racing, as long as I was not a professional. It was called "NZI/BrokerWeb Group Leisure Travel Policy". It also appeared to provide reasonable car rental excess cover, and the premium was comparable with the other one.

I didn't have to test the coverage fortunately, so this is not a proof. Other comments welcome.

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 12 September 2012, 4:00 AM  
I've used this before as they seem to cover everything except motorsport. I haven't actually tested out the cover because I haven't claimed on the insurance. But easily the best I've found.
http://www.ihi.com/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 September 2012, 5:54 AM  
The banks offer "free" travel insurance to credit card customers, with some strings attached. One would think the coverage would be "bargain basement", comments from those who have had to claim recently would be useful.

Show Profile  James Posted: 26 September 2012, 12:02 PM  
I get free travel insurance with my credit card, upto 40days of travel.
It's proven rather valuable, making a few claims on it in the past. The only catch is that you have to book your flights using your credit card (which isn't really an issue). You even get air points for booking flights with your card (eg. I received $32 nz air point dollars booking my flight to europe this year).

The insurance seems to cover all my orienteering needs, whether it be lost luggage, change of flights, more recently sports injuries. I tore the fascia in my foot in Slovakia in July. As a result couldn't compete over in tassie for the Aussie champs which are currently being held. So used my travel insurance to get my flights over to tassie refunded.

Downside, they didn't pay for my orthotics. And the excess was $200.

I have had free insurance cover for 5 trips so far this year, and best thing is, you don't need to lift a finger to be covered. It is all just automatically locked in, so saves time and I reckon probably covers me around $500 a year not having to pay travel insurance.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 September 2012, 6:56 AM  
Sorry I overlooked this earlier thread. Establishing link now: http://www.maptalk.co.nz/forum/topic.cfm?t=1621&f=1

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 October 2012, 4:14 AM  
I've just read the fine print relating to the free travel insurance through my credit card. There are slight differences between mine and James, but I noted the following which are probably the same for all c/c policies.

Excluded from medical cover is "racing (except on foot)". So I don't expect to be covered during a MTBO competition, but foot-o is fine.

Motor vehicle accident excess cover is effectively absent. To be covered you must have taken up all insurance and waivers offered by the vehicle provider, and these are usually very expensive. Cheaper to wing it I think.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz