maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

NZSSC 2003

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 September 2002, 1:24 PM  
In regards to the NZ Secondary School Champs for 2003, they should be in the South Island.
Does anyone know which club is going to host the event?

Also, the previous time the event was held in the South Island, It was held in the first school holidays. I believe this is the ideal time to have the event in the south island, as it is a large commitement to the larger Orienteering schools from the North Island to come down during Rugby Season. Perhaps the host club would think about changing the dates to the first holidays, and holding the South Island champs beforehand?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 14 September 2002, 10:31 AM  
Thanks man, now I can start trying to advertise the trip to my fellow school mates. Heres hoping for a big team.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 15 September 2002, 3:35 PM  
So now your suggesting Simon the timing of Secondary School Orienteering should evolve around the rugby season.

Easy on mate !

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 15 September 2002, 4:35 PM  
Before when the SS champs were held in the SI they were held earlier than normal to advoid the snow (even if it didn't happen last time). If you are trying to encourange more people to attend these champs why have them in the holidays, no school persons want to give up their holidays. Have it during a term and whats the bet the numbers will double, espically on the pervious time they were held in the SI. And as for the school rugby season fuck it, but Simon has a point if we are trying to get more people interested in orienteering.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 September 2002, 12:58 AM  
Fact: For the last 12 years of Secondary School Orienteering, the South Island Turn has always been in the first holiday.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 September 2002, 3:47 AM  
so now instead of asking them to give up their holidays you now want them to give up their Easter and main part of their first holiday break for the year to a school trip. If you look at the Oz events, its during the week and they get selected to go run at them, unlike in NZ where you are trying to get people to come

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 September 2002, 9:54 AM  
You are completely wrong. By having the Secondary School Championships at the same venue as Australia would put Secondary School Orienteers off. New Orienteers generally do not like big events. By having it as part of a two week period of Orienteering would not help.

And remember, last time the Nationals were held in the South Island, the first holidays worked extremely well. You still have half a year to fundraise, so dont make excuses. Get off your butt and do some work.

And Greg is right! NZSSC Should be held early in the year, during school time. Therefore exams wont be an issue, and people will WANT TO COME TO ORIENTEERING. We dont want to have our holidays taken up by Orienteering. Would you like that? NO

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 16 September 2002, 11:13 AM  
Well I actually like orienteering in my holidays Simon. So, yes.

Infact, last summer I had a six week holiday. This was my only holiday of the year. I spent the second week at an orienteering camp, the third and fourth weeks competing and then coached at a junior camp the next week.
Everyone likes and wants different things. I don't think you will ever solve the argument of when to hold the event, as you will never please everyone.

Personally, I don't agree with your sentiment that the NZSSC is there only for new orienteers. They should have all competed at numerous local events before the Nationals. More emphasis should be placed on Area Secondary School Champs. Those that are keen will venture on to Nationals, even if it is a "big" event. But the Nationals should be focused on our top secondary school athletes.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 September 2002, 2:30 PM  
Announcing: NZSSC Will be in the Middle Holidays of 2003. This is because of Pressure from the NZOF on Nelson OC.

Why?

This is the dumbest thing i have heard in a long time. The first holidays is the greatest idea out. Not only can NZ Orienteers have the joys of a week and a half of Orienteering, the secondary school Orienteers can follow on with the NZSSC. That would be awesome.

The NISSC Will be in the first holidays anyway, so whats the deal? An extra day of travelling. The fact that the NZOF does not have the balls to do what is the right idea, of having it in the first holidays really gets on my nerves. History is that when the NZSSC are in the South Island, they are held in the first holidays. This allows South Island tours etc to occur without disrupting winter sports codes.

I for one, know that I will probably not be at the NZSSC because of this decision made today. Rugby tours to Australia have more balls than a bad dated event. If you think this decision has pissed me off, you are absolutely correct.

I make the challenge to anyone on the NZOF to change its mind for the first holidays. Show some balls

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 16 September 2002, 4:19 PM  
Simon,

Do you actually have any reasons why the event should be held in the first holidays? Apart from it clashing with rugby and some stupid statistic you haven't been very persuasive. In fact I don't know what your problem is.

Neil

Edited by - Neil K on 16/09/2002 23:20:47

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 September 2002, 12:38 AM  
So your saying the fact that the NZSSC has been held in the South Island in the first holidays for the last 12 years is useless? That means that your saying the timing did not affect the event. The event was great because of the timing last time. It did not clash with winter sports. No rugby/soccer injurys to make the better orienteers pull out. Lets see if that happens next year when it is held in the ridiculous time of July.

Apart from that, the times the NZSSC have been in the South Island, have meant that teams can not only go to the NZSSC but they can have a 'South Island Field Trip'. Will this happen with the timing in July? NO. Too many clashes of winter sports codes.

So lets look at what will be drawing people to the NZSSC in July. In most cases a 'South Island Field Trip' cannot occur, so you cannot get new people who want to just come for the trip, resulting in Less Numbers than what we would have in the first holidays. The event will be held in the cold season of the year, trips may be detoured at Ruapehu. Another reason for the timing to be in the first holidays. And then, the NZSSC without its usual bumper crop of Rugby players will itself have no balls, perhaps worthy of a B' status.

Edited by - Simon Addison on 17/09/2002 07:56:37

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 September 2002, 2:20 AM  
The good orienteers shouldn't have rugby or soccer injures because they will be orienteering. What about clashing with other sports earlier like cricket or tennis.

The way I see it is the NZOF should be looking at holding the NZSS champs when they are going to get maximum numbers, and holding them during school holidays or in the middle of winter is not where this will happen. Nor will it happen later in the year for most of them the last time they would have been orienteering would have been back at the end of Feb or early March in their local Summer Seriers. Solution, have Island champs as soon as possible after the local summer series finish and then the NZSS champs about a month after, niether of which being during a school holiday. This will bring about a flow from local to Island to National and build enthusiasm within school teams.

Edited by - greg on 17/09/2002 09:21:47

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 September 2002, 2:48 AM  
I could not agree more with Greg. We need to set some infrastructure to keep Secondary School Orienteers in the sport. Look at my high school, out of all the years of Orienteering success how many Orienteers have followed on with the sport? Maybe 2. Jan Davies and myself.

So what greg is absolutely correct. Setting up a system like he has suggested would cause a flow on effect. People would have a purpose to go to the NISSC etc. Our sport revolves around Summer Orienteering gaining new people. How about we use the success of the Summer Infrastructure to gain more people into our sport.

But being realistic, this will not happen by next year. What is going to happen is that we are going to have an event in a stupid place of the year. What will it do for our sport? Well it will not allow new orienteers to continue the flow from summer orienteering into the national level. An extra 3 months of waiting around makes people pull out of events such as this, and we lose them for good. Perhaps some people will show some balls and set up some structure into the sport of Orienteering.

I commend the Super Series, it gives us structure and something to build our elites on. But its for elites, and when is a Super Series going to be set up for Secondary School people?

But for those who believe they have an argument that the event should be held in July, get this http://www.nzorienteering.com/tc/calendar.html. Right there it says the event is going to be held in April. Why then has it been changed? Our school has been planning a tour in April and now what do we do, all that work for nothing. Why have they announced on the site it is going to be in April, then the NZOF goes and puts pressure on Nelson to hold it in July? Hmm

Edited by - Simon Addison on 17/09/2002 09:58:23

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 September 2002, 8:29 AM  
I think Simon has finally hit on the point.

How many people have continued from Putaruru in all those years....Jan Davies (Simon himself hasn't left yet so he can'y be counted)

How many have continued from Birkenhead....1,2??

So does it really matter? good on those teachers who give ss students a taste of the sport we love, but who really cares about those who don't come (especially those with Rugby injurys)

We don't want rugby heads in orienteering anyway, everyone knows that most good orienteers actually evolved from hockey players

You have an event in Nelson (the best summer city in NZ) and you have it in July what another dorky call from the NZOF (no doubt influenced by secondary school bodies).

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 September 2002, 9:41 AM  
How cool would it be, sitting on a beach in Nelson in the middle of April. Still warmish, have a good old picnic on the beach.... ohh wait we are having NZSSC in Crappy July.

And Jamie, it wasnt the secondary school bodies, it was the NZOF. I know all about this one. Because the fact of the matter is, there are more Pinelands people in Nelson than from any other origin. Its Amazing.

Show Profile  MASH Posted: 17 September 2002, 10:17 AM  
Just a thought. Would a properly structured "Spring, Summer, Autumn, New Zealand
orienteering season help schools orienteering better?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz