maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Ultra Sprint Auckland - 25 April

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 April 2012, 2:02 PM  
25 April Ultra Sprint Auckland - Barry Curtis Park

New Map! New Format! This high intensity orienteering will provide a challenge to all competitors as well as being a spectacle to watch.

There are 3 courses (do all of them) of approximately 1km with a high density of controls, including a specially constructed labyrinth.
This will be followed by a set of finals involving everyone.

You can enter on the website (preferable), or enter on the day.

Registration and enter on the day available at 12:30pm

Starts will be from 1pm and you complete all three courses in your own time by 3pm. Finals will follow shortly after.

See event website for details http://www.ultra-sprint.org.nz

This event is a fundraiser for local athletes heading to JWOC and WOC

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 16 April 2012, 2:54 PM  
Looks amazing! So so excited!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 April 2012, 3:08 PM  
Excellent!

Since I heard about "orient-show" (google it) I've thought (a) what a cool concept and (b) what a terrible name. You've solved both.

Best wishes for the event. Wellington squaddies, I want one.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 24 April 2012, 3:00 PM  
Reminder that online entries close late tonight, or enter on the day tomorrow.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 24 April 2012, 7:12 PM  
Good work Martin!

Did you make the website? It's pretty groovy.

Why don't the NZOF and World Cup websites look this good??

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 April 2012, 11:39 AM  
Splits are up on winsplits. Overall results and RouteGadget to come.

Yup, website was very easy to put together, completed in one evening

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 26 April 2012, 10:10 AM  
Cool looking concept. Did it work? Was the 30 second penalty for wrong controls used much? Did people enjoy the maze? What was it made with?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 26 April 2012, 10:40 AM  
Only 40 had no penalties (out of 110), and it was probably about right time-wise.

The maze was made with electric fence stands and plastic tape, although electric fencing was suggested...!

I'll leave others to add further comments and any sugegstions for the next event.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 27 April 2012, 3:08 AM  
This was an excellent event, well run by Martin and the CM team. The Barry Curtis Park terrain was well chosen, with intricate areas of oblique rock walls that surely must have been designed by an orienteer. The maze worked really well, and was more difficult when approached face on than corner on, as it just looked a bunch of stands and tape!
This event really was a blast, but how could it be made better?
Maybe shorten the heats a bit, as 3 heats + final was maybe a bit much for some competitors. Moving/adding controls (and tape in the maze) before the final would really make things tough. More dummy controls, more controls clustered around objects, etc.
Others may have some ideas about the finals format. It seemed like more complexity could have been added to the two control cluster zones where you choose the order.
I hope we can see more of these events in future.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 April 2012, 6:07 AM  
One of the benefits of the ultra-sprint is that areas can be used which were once thought too small. I too hope to see more.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 27 April 2012, 10:20 AM  
30 seconds penalty was too long for me
Great job Martin.

The terrain was very suitable because of so many identical walls, lots of short up's and down's as well as thick gardens etc... all creating routechoice as well as often providing obsticles to block the view to the next control of the runner in front. A hard act to follow!

Loved your so-called 'simple' web page. User friendly and modern. Always good when things move

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 27 April 2012, 1:33 PM  
Most fun I've had running in ages
I thought a small maze change for the finals would have been good and would have caught a few out. The four way head to head was great for the final and might be even better with a four way pivot to split the runners up temporarily - I think the finalists were expecting loops.
Jeffs idea about more dummy controls is a good one - also the clusters could be to pick 3 out of 4 controls in any order requiring a bit more high speed geometry to pick the best route.
Great format - fantastic event.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz