maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

NZ Champs Long/Middle are not World Ranking Events

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 3 April 2012, 12:46 PM  
Can someone enlighten me why Long & Middle events at NZ Champs are not WRE? (The Sprint event does have WRE status I see)

2011 NZ Champs made compromises to attain WRE status (ie fences on maps and Offset printing etc)that I felt were not worth the cost/effort/benefit.
Is the change a National directive or has the host club made this decision for some reason?

Show Profile  NW Posted: 3 April 2012, 12:59 PM  
Host club did not want to compromise to meet WRE criteria

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 3 April 2012, 3:47 PM  
Thats a shame, especially when fences wouldn't really have been an issue in Auckland. But hey, no one really expected anyone to trump HB's efforts last year

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 3 April 2012, 5:33 PM  
Too much hassle for too little gain, plus they would have wanted scales of 1:10,000 in the middle and 1:15,000 in the classic, but we want our runners to read the maps without needing to take magnifyers.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 3 April 2012, 10:00 PM  
With the upcoming world cup races in NZ wouldn't it be in the best interest of our elite runners to compete under the same conditions as they will have to next January?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 4 April 2012, 2:38 AM  
Do the NZ Elite runners want the Nationals to be WRE every year? I suppose it gives some benefit to some, although I am ignorant to the advantages.

I just reckon either we do it all the time or we don't at all. It sounds like each year the host committee goes through the same process of trying to figure out if the events should be WRE!

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 4 April 2012, 4:46 AM  
Nationals races for elites should all be world ranking. It is the premier competition of the year (STB a close second ) so should be up to world class standards. Its not just for the elites but its also for orienteering in NZ. If we hold successful WRE and have runners actually getting ranking points the Scandis will look at NZ Orienteering in more respectful light as we will develope a reputation for good events because (from what i hear because i was to young to know) we kind of ruined any reputation we might have had at the last world cup we hosted.
Look broad and to the future people

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 4 April 2012, 5:04 AM  
do WRE events need International level controllers? NZ only has 3 that I know of.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 4 April 2012, 5:10 AM  
I remember the World Cup event in NZ as successful - it was just a tinny bit tougher than expected. It was one of those events that will be in the athletes memory forever. Like I imagine the WOC races in France will be. There was nothing wrong with that World Cup (that was how world cup was back in the day - memorable events - not the same old same old like nowadays;-)) - just a few softy whimpering athletes from other countries than NZ and Denmark that wasn't up for a good challenge ;-) spreading the bad

This message was edited by Casser on 4 April 2012, 12:15 PM

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 6 April 2012, 3:14 AM  
Sounds like a few hoops for WRE events...

Offset printing improves the readabilility a lot IMHO. It normally allows 1:15 & 1:10 to work as the lines don't disperse, so are in practice a lot thinner than laser printing. Amongst the other advantages of colour layering etc

Saying that the WRE event in the UK the other weekend had laser printing - too quite a lot dissatisfaction - so maybe it's not a requirement?
A "should" is not mandatory, ie the seeding of the start list is not compulsory for a WRE.

I think most Scandis view the World ranking list as a bit of a joke anyway.... When I'm 377 and there's probably > 1000 scandis better than me something's not quite right.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 15 April 2015, 12:57 PM  
So were nz champs 2015 a WRE? are any NZ events WRE? Or have we given up up trying to achieve this?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 April 2015, 7:53 PM  
None of the events were, pretty much the same response as rob.g above. ONZ came back really late in the piece (just over a month out) and WRE too onerous at that stage.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz