maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

DOC Concession

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 2 April 2012, 1:02 PM  
Hi All,

Just wondering if any other club has gone through a DOC concession process and, not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if they could send me an electronic copy of the application. We are about to apply for a ten year concession for access to cover a couple of existing maps and a number of potential future maps on DOC estate.
Send to nelson.orienteering[at]gmail.com.

Cheers,
Michael

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 26 April 2012, 12:01 PM  
Well after no replies and a quick chat to a staffer, NOC notes that there must be no other clubs running events on DoC land. This unfortunately seems to be the most likely locations for us as club to have high quality maps in the long run. We will be applying for a concession later this year. We note that DOC had a DoC one off event concession for the Nationals a couple of years ago and we have obtained a copy, but if any other clubs are interested, please contact me. Cheers, Michael.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 26 April 2012, 12:29 PM  
I believe Dunedin has been through the process quite a few times. several of their maps are on DoC land. Gladbrook, Bannockburn etc

Show Profile  Southernman Posted: 26 April 2012, 1:07 PM  
From when I was land owner contact at DOC. Gladbrook was very easy to get access as running on it caused no damage but Bannockburn was another story as it was a historic area. It all depends on the type of land as to how hard it is to get access.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 26 April 2012, 2:11 PM  
We (woc) had a concession on the coastal strip at Harakeke for a few years (the large strip between the pines and the sea). I first applied for this for the ANZ challenge in 2001 (or thereabouts). I got a 50 page document to fill in. I sat and looked at it for 2 months and thinking "I cant be bothered" before finally ringing a DOC person in Wangarei and asking - is this really needed. The answer was no - your'e not a profit org - just fill in the fist 2 pages. All the rest of the bull sh*t in that thing was about commercially approved safety plans and impacts on the enviroment, and consulting the local iwi, and commercial payments and other cr*p.
Even so it was a $500 fee for 5 years - We haven't renewed it. Its not worth it.
Not saying if we now use the area.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 26 April 2012, 2:40 PM  
Cheers, I work as a Consent Planner for a Council so the paperwork shouldn't be too daunting. We are looking for a 10 year concession for Canaan Downs, Kaiteriteri, St Arnaud, an active gold panning area up the Howard Valley and also the start of Farewell Spit. Looking long term for at least 4-5 maps over the next 5 years. Apparently the key is to include everywhere you could possibly go orienteering in the next 10 years (including Rogaines)as it's all one fee.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz