maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Sarah Anderson (Hawkes Bay) and Juliana McMillan (North West) have been added to the 2012 NZ JWOC te

Show Profile  Oldhat Posted: 30 March 2012, 8:44 AM  
The full team, now of 11 athletes, is:
Men
Ryan Batin (Peninsula & Plains)
Nick Hann (Wellington)
Duncan Morrison (Hawkes Bay)
Matthew Ogden (North West)
Liam Paterson (Taranaki)
Tim Robertson (Hutt Valley)

Women
Sarah Anderson (Hawkes Bay)
Jula McMillan (North West)
Selena Metherell (Peninsula & Plains)
Laura Robertson (Hutt Valley)
Cosette Saville (Counties Manukau)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 30 March 2012, 10:25 AM  
Congratulations to both of you. Well deserved.

@Oldhat - why not add a 6th and make it a full team. This is the perfect opportunity to develop our juniors for future years. There are plenty of other sports that would be snapping up opportunities like this and it would be a shame to loose some of our most promising young athletes.

Show Profile  H Posted: 30 March 2012, 10:48 AM  
Congratulations all. Have a fantastic trip.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 30 March 2012, 11:00 AM  
Loose??

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 30 March 2012, 11:00 AM  
You won't lose anyone by only having one relay team. The 2 not chosen for the relay will still get plenty of racing, training and experience, and if not doing the relay puts them off they weren't too committed I'd say.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 30 March 2012, 1:57 PM  
Good call NZOF.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 30 March 2012, 11:24 PM  
I second that! There's also usually composite teams at JWOC relays made up from the assorted runners left over from different countries anyway, so the girls not in the top team don't really miss out on anything.
Good luck to everyone! :D

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 31 March 2012, 3:59 AM  
It's the 6th person that misses out, not those who are going.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 31 March 2012, 8:45 AM  
At the same time you don't want to send people over who really struggle, and can be put off bigtime. I can think of some who haven't been seen since going to JWOC.

I think the selectors have done a great job.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 April 2012, 10:44 PM  
Obviously some sort of story behind the change in selection. Hissyfit somewhere perhaps...

You guys have got too pc. Look at those trials results and tell me all those girls should have been selected.

There should have been some sort of excellence/search for excellence going on, and I'm sorry but I can't see it in those results.

Not that I don't wish them all the best...and hope they will catch the orienteering bug big time in Europe, and improve out of their skins.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 2 April 2012, 3:54 PM  
those girls should have been selected.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 2 April 2012, 4:07 PM  
ah, maybe you're right, I shouldn't be a kill joy.

I just hope there hasn't been some dumb ass parent threatening to go to the International Court of Arbitration for Sport... or whatever local version again....

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 April 2012, 1:59 AM  
From what I've heard there wasn't even an appeal heard by NZOF...

So at a guess either the selectors changed their mind/interpretation or the executive did.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 3 April 2012, 3:38 AM  
What I would like to have appealed to NZOF is the decision to only have 4 teams go to world schools champs .... I now know Sweden send their runner-up school teams as the "Selected" teams in each category. That is their way of getting 8x teams into the competition. Come on Martin, can we have it on Friday's agenda? So many kids want to get to Portugal next year. You'll have 40x fans for life if you swing this!

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 3 April 2012, 10:35 AM  
yea send 2 sets of teams! whats the negatives from it? it gets a group of kids on the europe and O buzz without costing nzof a thing and it also encourage a group of around 40 kids to improve their o skills

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 3 April 2012, 11:29 AM  
Wealthy parents!!!

I reckon the best value for money is going for the Aus Carnival in October each year. Also improves their o skills.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz