maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Katoa Po

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 9 March 2012, 1:27 AM  
Just wondering where all the smack talk is, we have Katoa Po tomorrow and no one is trying to kid themselves into thinking they will beat Hawkes Bay. Come on people, you know it's fun.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 March 2012, 1:37 AM  
It's such a given that HB will get arse-kicked by everyone this year we really can't even be bothered talking about it (yawn)

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 9 March 2012, 3:57 AM  
HB? Do u mean the Has Beens? This is the year of the North, I predict a 20 minute win to the Northern Giants, NWOC. What will be more impressive will be the simultaneous implosion of Auckland and Wellington as they circum to the speed, precision and technical prowess of the greatest orienteering club to ever hit the southern hemisphere!

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 9 March 2012, 6:20 AM  
Write off AOC at your peril - Our top team is even better than last year (We won by the way - both trophies). Multiple NZ and NI age group podium placegetters from last year can't even make the a team. Of course i'll be offering advice from the c team.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 9 March 2012, 8:16 AM  
And rumour has it that Pete Swanson is bringing 100 watts of night vision raw power. Just a few issues of cooling to sort out, and we are talking instant retinal destruction for NW, HB, and any other pretenders who happen to be in the vicinity.

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 10 March 2012, 6:18 AM  
From Pete's previous efforts, I think the main risk is him incinerating himself when his light ignites the dry grass! There should be a near full moon if the cloud stays away. However, in the forest(s), that won't be much help. And super powerful lights don't give much help in the negative terrain which Taupo abounds with.
If you go back over previous years, the winner has more often than not been settled by the missed punches penalties. That is most likely where the event will be decided.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 March 2012, 3:06 AM  
Fantastic map and the event as smoothly run as ever!

Hutt Valley, Taranaki and any other former regulars who were missing, you really should have been there!

Show Profile  jayjay Posted: 11 March 2012, 5:42 AM  
Taranaki members think next year.. "I'll be Back.."

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 11 March 2012, 8:51 AM  
Epic weekend of races. Night relay was awesome, a big thank you to Taupo OC and organisers.

Long may Katoa Po continue.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 11 March 2012, 9:16 AM  
Who won?

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 11 March 2012, 10:03 AM  
Bay of Plenty won the 5 person relay, just ahead of Counties Manakau while Wellington took out the & person team about 23 minutes ahead on Hawkes Bay.
The results should be up on the CD site tomorrow

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 11 March 2012, 11:44 AM  
Ditto Thomas - brilliant weekend and big thanks to Taupo OC and Hawkes Bay too for their efforts - fantastic ;-)

Unfortunately the benefit of super bright lights didnt translate into my performance, and got learned by Rolf whom I repeatedly passed, but who finally outsprinted me in the finish shute - nice one Rolf!! :-)

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 11 March 2012, 12:44 PM  
Yep, the highlight of my O career since beating Darren in the Auckland School Champs in 1986.
Surely the finish sprint is more important than the overall time!

Well done Taupo club, fantastic area, mapping and courses. Plus the added bonus of Simon T making an rare appearance....
My 1st Katoa Po for 19 years. I won't wait that long again....

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 March 2012, 1:17 PM  
Just back from Katoa Po, brilliant event and new area. Many thanks to Jim, Chris and the other Taupo stalwarts that keep hanging in there and helping us have lots of fun. Lets make it really big next year, it deserves better numbers.

Unfortunately the competition wasn't very dramatic. I expected better. Lara, George, Shamus and Nick just set us up too well. I hope the other clubs return better prepared and perhaps more focused next year.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 12 March 2012, 5:14 AM  
best night relay i have ran in. so much fun and such a good area.
good work by Hawkes Bay being the first 7 man team.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 12 March 2012, 8:20 AM  
Many thanks to all of those competitors who attended the 32nd Katoa Po event and for the feedback - both at the event and in this Forum.
The event Planner was Lyndon Haugh and Chris Morris was the Controller.

This year we chose to give all competitors maps at 1:7500 scale as the map is "very busy". This is why Legs 5, 6 and 7 ended up having a map change - to enable us to print on 115gsm A4 Teslin (waterproof paper), thus saving unused map for a later date.

The Kaiapo Faultline map name arises from the active faultline that goes in a SE-NE line through the map. The campsite was virtually on the faultline, which is at the base of the hill/cliffs/escarpment. In places there is visable evidence where the land is being ripped apart.

The base map was 5m LIDAR contour data supplied by Taupo District Council. Everything else seen on the map came from extensive fieldwork as orthophotos of the area were too low a resolution and too old be be of much use. Google Earth wasn't much better.

Gully lines/seasonal watercourses, fences, stumps, logs, cliffs, knolls, etc locations were captured using a GPS. Over 3200 waypoints were recorded in situ, and the dots (linear features) literally joined up on the computer at home. Very little traditional fieldwork drawing on a map board was done in the field.

Two weeks prior to the event those seasonal watercourses were flowing streams during two bouts of heavy rain.

The map used for the 2012 Katoa Po was only about 60% of what had been fieldworked, and is about one third of the available Rangatira E farm (9.5 square km). Add on the adjoining Tukairangi/Punatekahi maps and there is potentially 16 square km of mapped land.

I had a chance to go out for a "run" on Leg 5. Although I know the map like the back of my hand, having spent 28 days fieldworking it, that knowledge wasn't much help in the dark with poor illumination. Those "brighter than day" headlamps can blind another competitor's night vision from well over a hundred metres.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz