maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1000 Orienteers

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 5 March 2012, 2:49 AM  
Is this one for the record books? It appears that we probably had 1000 people orienteering in Auckland last week. And I mean 1000 different people not just 1000 entries over multiple events.

The week started with the A Series event in Woodhill on Sunday which had 200 entries. Then there were the four regional Secondary School Sprint Series events which attracted 223, 181, 107 and 84 entries. There was also the Summer Series event at Auckland Domain with 232 results posted (277 names in the results). And then the week finished with a Summer Series Night event on Saturday which, probably due to the rainy day and the absence of a number of the usual suspects at the JWOC trials, saw just 43 results posted (54 named results).

That is 1070 results posted (includes DNFs) rising to 1126 named results. There is probably a 80% return rate from the Summer Series to the Summer Series night event, taking those out we would drop to 1082. We know from comparing receipts to results that around 20% of entrants at Summer Series events don't post their results (and it is difficult to know how many extra people are represented by a result labelled "Team"). Add those 20% in and we're back up to 1128. Then there would have been those who ran at both the A Series and the Summer Series events; it looks like about 50% of the A Series entries so down to 1028. Lastly subtract those who ran at both a Secondary Schools event and another event. This is difficult to gauge without laboriously comparing lists but, for the purposes of my argument, I'm going to assume it was 28 people. Which, conveniently, gives us 1000 different people orienteering in Auckland last week.

A special thanks must go to Mike for organising at least two (possibly three?) of the AKSS events, John (I think?) for the other one or two, and Alistair and Joanna for the Summer Series events.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 5 March 2012, 3:38 AM  
That is great - well done. But wouldn't it be even better if we could have 1000 competitors per event. Ironman had 1620 entered with event fees of around $800. Seems we only get large numbers with school competitions.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 March 2012, 6:34 AM  
So what was NZ's biggest single event? I think I recall Kapiti HAVOC in its heyday getting 1234 at a schools event; and fairly sure that was eclipsed by something else. World Masters? Christchurch city council orienteering day?

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 5 March 2012, 3:56 PM  
Just over 1600 people course combinations (counting everyone in teams and double counting those who did 2 courses) at the Feb 20th 2011 Christchurch City Council Orienteering Day. There were over 500 separate entries all recorded on the day with results posted to the PAPO website that night.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 7 March 2012, 1:22 PM  
SteveO You might like to add the coaching in schools that also was taking place.Counties had four people teaching orienteering in that same week. Auckland and North West possably had some as well.There are a lot of good things going on at the moment which is very positive for our sport.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz