maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Oceania 2011: Tips

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 5 August 2011, 4:36 PM  
It is now less than two months before Oceania 2011 begins in South Eastern Australia. Perhaps those of you with experience in running in both Australian and New Zealand conditions would care to pass on some tips to the rest of us?

In particular, the photos and map samples on the event website show rather a lot of rocks or, as they put it, "more complex granite areas". I don't recall coming across too much granite in Woodhill, what differences in technique should I be using?

Can I guess? Would the word "simplification" feature prominently?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 August 2011, 4:35 PM  
As much as you can, ignore the rocks - or on longer legs on maps where the rock detail tends to be clumped together, simplify it down to patches of rock - and concentrate on the contours instead. Only worry about the actual detail in the rocks until you're in the control circle. Look out for big rocks with unique shapes... and listen to people who have made far more orienteering visits across the Tasman than I have!

Show Profile  bg Posted: 7 August 2011, 3:07 PM  
http://www.hannyallston.com/index.php?id=29

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 August 2011, 3:46 AM  
It's basic stuff Stevo... Simplify, Concentrate and be very fit.
Putting those together 100% of a race is the hard part, which needs practice.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 24 August 2011, 4:40 PM  
There's a detailed promotional video of the Middle Race on the Oceania website fronted by Warren Key. GPS tracking, big screen, gold mining terrain, spectator legs. It's going to good!!
http://www.oceania2011.com/

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 26 August 2011, 2:02 AM  
Those of you who attended the Winter Sprint event at Carrington last Saturday will have noticed that I simulated Australian conditions by providing you with a route choice through the natural granite outcrop between the last control and the finish.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz