maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Croatia

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 July 2011, 2:17 PM  
Just checking in from Croatia where there are a good bunch of kiwis soaking up the Euro summer. We are currently two days into a five day. The first day was a middle on steep rocky terrain. Awesomely Tim, Nick and Matt all won their grades. Yesterday we had a sprint race in a little seaside town called Krk. Penny finished 3rd, working her way back up the field and Matt 2nd in M20 only beaten by a Jwoc champion by 4 seconds. This two man duel in M20 should be epic over the next few days.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 July 2011, 2:39 AM  
Jamie, I may have found the event website... http://www.finswimmer.com/2011/06/17/open-croatian-national-championship-in-underwater-orienteering-2011/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 July 2011, 3:50 AM  
Can't wait for the result, holding my breath.

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 16 July 2011, 5:26 AM  
The event site has finally posted the 1st 3 days results - lots of names to look out for; Matt O, Nick H, Tim R, Jamie, James,Greg, Penny,Claire, Jaime, Anna, Laura & Selena (& a couple of Aussis too) - all with good results. Well done everyone. Matt is having a good contest with Robert Merl (who had a 2nd place in the JWOC long & 4th in the JWOC middle last week)Event site http://www.croatiaopen.net/2011/index.php

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 July 2011, 7:04 AM  
Gd lck vryne, frm Lwr Htt

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 July 2011, 7:17 AM  
And well done class leaders! Seline Stalder the same one who was in NZ 6-8 years ago? Was she in the Swiss team at one time?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 July 2011, 1:05 PM  
Yep same Seline, she and Penny are having a good tussle in W21E. Seline has a 90 second buffer heading into the final race today.

Nick Hann is similarly fighting for the M18 title today and Matt may well be still in contention. I missed yesterdays results because it was almost dark by the time I got back.

Awesome terrain here, everyone learning heaps,.,,and these current juniors we have are really something!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 July 2011, 1:06 PM  
Yep same Seline, she and Penny are having a good tussle in W21E. Seline has a 90 second buffer heading into the final race today.

Nick Hann is similarly fighting for the M18 title today and Matt may well be still in contention. I missed yesterdays results because it was almost dark by the time I got back.

Awesome terrain here, everyone learning heaps,.,,and these current juniors we have are really something!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 July 2011, 1:29 AM  
Penny wins W21E, gets her portrait drawn by a famous artist and the national anthem is played...hillarious

Nick. Laura and Matt all second. Matt picks up map from wrong box to almost match Tims effort yesterday in missing his start.

Next event for most OOcup in Slovenia 5 days time. I think Ross is doing or just done a finnish event, anyone know how he went?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 July 2011, 1:31 AM  
Penny wins W21E, gets her portrait drawn by a famous artist and the national anthem is played...hillarious

Nick. Laura and Matt all second. Matt picks up map from wrong box to almost match Tims effort yesterday in missing his start.

Next event for most OOcup in Slovenia 5 days time. I think Ross is doing or just done a finnish event, anyone know how he went?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 July 2011, 2:10 AM  
Slovenia has always intrigued me. Doesn't seem to have much presence in international orienteering (population 2m) yet for several years ran a very good orienteering news/comment website "Orienteering Online" The name lives on in some event software, and the Orienteering Online Cup. The person behind it may be Goran Nagy. The samples of map I have seen have looked fantastic. Be great to hear more.

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 18 July 2011, 10:10 PM  
Very impressed by the results from the New Zealand contingent (with the possible exception of the elite men, all of whom managed to finish behind an ageing Aussie hack :-). I was particularly impressed by Matt - matching it (until his unfortunate incident with the wrong map on day 5) with a JWOC gold medallist who wasn't too far away from home is no mean feat.

Show Profile  idiot Posted: 19 July 2011, 1:48 AM  
Who said being a hack has anything to do with age?

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 19 July 2011, 12:26 PM  
Well done Blair on beating a couple of our middle of the pack elites.
The fact is our best elites are now the juniors and we have the best crop ever, as shown by the JWOC results, so exciting times ahead.

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 19 July 2011, 12:35 PM  
Definitely. Add some of the current juniors with a couple of extra years of development to Chris and Ross and you've got a seriously good men's team.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 July 2011, 8:51 PM  
All very true comments.

The challenge for the current juniors is to convert their current form to elite success....anybody remember a character called Richard Bolt?

The true test will be when they leave home go to Uni, get a job .... lets hope they can really up the anti though and improve the NZ elite scene sustainably.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz