maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Fornicators' furry happy feet formidable

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 12 July 2011, 2:39 PM  
Wanna go for a run anyone? Chris Forne smashes the 225km Meraker 12 Peaks by an astounding 12 hours. Apparently he was a bit tired but happy at the finish.
Hope you can google translate this link...

http://www.opn.no/chris-forne-smadret-rekorden-i-meraaker.4941574-122786.html
http://www.merakertiltopps.com/In-English.html

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 12 July 2011, 2:43 PM  
golly, I meant 26 peaks.

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 13 July 2011, 2:54 AM  
Might want to brush up on that Norwegian. My take is he finished in 26hr 51min taking almost 12hrs off the old record.

Not a bad effort considering there was 4000m of climb and it looks much more fun than the silly people who run round on a 1km track for 24hrs. :-)

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 13 July 2011, 6:24 AM  
Actually the website states 11000m climb. Now I'm not quite convinced about the numbers, I'm sure Chris can give us a decent update but...

World rogaine champs, about 135km and 6000m or so I've heard, in 24hrs. To cover another 90km and 5000m in the extra 3hrs sounds a bit much. The terrain for the worlds wasn't that slow going.

Still a very good effort. I wonder if the endurance training will translate into speedy legs for WOC.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 13 July 2011, 7:56 AM  
I can only find it referring to 105km on the home website in English and 4000m, or is the extreme version different?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2011, 9:01 AM  
Great story, worth translating for us, someone? Did the old record-holder do it in 34 hours? Did Emily run the first half with Chris? Seems such a huge feat that I wonder if there's a decimal point missing somewhere!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2011, 9:05 AM  
Hey Chris, when you get back to NZ, the Schormann-Kaitoke is crying out for your attention. 24hrs has been broken only a handful of times. It's the north-to-south traverse of the Tararuas.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2011, 9:20 AM  
Chris Forne smashed the record in Meråker 11.07.11 - Geir Nilsen

Orientation runner from New Zealand and Norwegian Wing Orienteering Club beat the old record in the 26 Peaks Extremity race with almost 12 hours. - I am tired but very happy, cheered Chris after the finish. Chris felt in fine form throughout the race. Had some problems with the heat in the beginning. The heat made it a little hard to take NOK industry. During the night the temperature was slightly lower and barrel temperature was better, says Jan-Egil Wagnild to OPN.no. Besides being the CEO of sports store OffTrack in Trondheim, was Wagnild weekend central to the support system around Chris Fornes incredible rekordløp.

Forne, including the World Cup runs in the orientation of New Zealand and currently based in Trondheim and Wing Orienteering Club, gave the gas right from the start during which 26 mountain peaks and 11,000 meters should be done away within the 225 kilometers. - When passing Teveltunet after just over 100 km lead with Chris about 1 hour and 50 minutes, said Wagnild.

During the race had Forne with a number of Team OffTrack to dealing of food, drink and "Sherpa" in parts of the trail. His girlfriend Emily Wall Forne met in the first half and passed food and drink. From Teveltunet ran Jostein Kvakland and Mads Fornes together with Chris and kept up to Kluken. When Chris came to Falkfangervola he left company. Stig Alvestad, Jostein Alvestad and none other than Bjørnar Valstad, flerfaldig world champion in orienteering and now secretary general of the Orienteering Association, joined up to Fong. - Valstad sat at home and followed the GPS tracking on the Internet and decided on its own initiative to join with Chris, not that it was in Team OffTrack plans, says Jan-Egil Wagnild to OPN.no.

By Vålåkleppen was again joined by Chris Thomas Udrzal. Together with Tomas brought Chris back the energy and came to the finish on the top of Glacier Mountain 40 minutes in front of his form. There was a proud partner and took Chris. OPN.no know that Chris felt fine all the way and that he never had problems with blisters and other ailments. - This is NOK a result of his vast experience rogaining and adventure racing. Two branches where Chris has several times been the world champion and has been hired by the respected Team Nike as navigator, says Jan-Egil Wagnild.

Chris Forne had been out in 26 hours 51 minutes and 5 seconds when he clocked the goal in the 1,100 meter high mountain Fonn. The old record was for 38 hours and 19 minutes. Also, the previous record holder, Hallgeir Martin Lundemo, did very well and did what was believed to be the world's longest nonstop fjelløp at 34 hours and 55 minutes.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 14 July 2011, 9:19 PM  
Yes, the website is a bit confusing. The standard race is reportedly 105km with 4000m climb, while the extreme race is supposedly 225km with 11000 m climb.

In practice, I understand the extreme race was measured by GPS as 170km for the route Lundamo took last year. Although the organisers reckon this doesn't take in all the tiny micro wiggles (However, I would have thought the GPS result was pretty accurate?). For reference, I measured about 150km on the map. Although, I might try and check this again.

Climb was about right at 11,000 m for the extreme race. It was also pretty slow marshy terrain for most of the course where it wasn't bare rock.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 14 July 2011, 11:33 PM  
Harden up Chris

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 15 July 2011, 3:54 AM  
How about the Bob Graham Round, Chris, or is that a bit too short? You could kayak across as a warm up.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 July 2011, 6:04 AM  
Now there's a thought. Often wondered whether there was a kiwi equivalent of the Donalds, Munros, Murdos, Marilyns, Corbetts, Grahams or Humps. If not why not. I could set up the Michaels, and Chris could knock the bastard off.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 July 2011, 1:05 PM  
Yo Chris, stay in Norway you freak.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 July 2011, 1:06 PM  

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 July 2011, 1:18 PM  

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 July 2011, 6:16 AM  
This might be a good place to recognise Shaun Collins' mid-winter double Hillary Trail in the Waitaks. 149km/6700m in 29.5 hours. Well done Runningbeast!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz