maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Waitangi 21 - NZ Rogaining Comes of Age

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 7 February 2012, 12:25 AM  
Absolutely brilliant weekend, and big thanks to Michael, and the team that put it together. I'm amazed more keen rogainers or adventure racers were not there to get a big workout plus heaps of excellent race practice.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 February 2012, 1:12 AM  
And the other gongs must go to four of the 36 participants in NZ's first rogaine who took part yesterday.

Rob van der Poel who was third in 1991 with former OHV secretary Ruth Sparling is a former orienteer who has been away for many years but has come back to rogaining. He also planned the Kaukau stage.

Ross and Frances Bidmead were fourth in 1991 and they were there. Ross has planned a number of rogaines over the years, notably an afterwork one with bonus points for about six tunnels in the Ngaio Gorge area. Ross now combines his love of the outdoors with an adventure tourism business (Nepal, Antarctica...)

Peter Watson ran solo (unofficially) in 1991 but he was half an hour late anyway so it hardly mattered:-)) His Hawkes Bay club had often done ultra-long orienteering events on topo maps so they easily recognised the potential of rogaining. In spite of a stroke which would have floored most people Peter is back orienteering - and rogaining.

Show Profile  sifter Posted: 9 February 2012, 2:18 PM  
Top stuff Michael and team! The maps Simon and I rode (rounds 4 and 5) were top notch as usual. I've been told already that my blog of the events is my rudest ever! I hope some of you enjoy it! http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/trying-not-to-get-lost.html

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 February 2012, 5:29 AM  
Great story Sifter. The maps are now all on RouteGadget and simplified routes for most teams are there. http://www.routechoice.co.nz

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz