maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Silly Tourist Q5 - Apr 17th - which event?

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 10 April 2011, 7:50 PM  
Casting aside any parochialism - which of the following events set down for Sunday 17th April would you go to if distance was not an issue?

Ngapuriri (Huruwai) Waikato - Auckland
Rotoma North - Hastings(
Belmont Bunkers - Lower Hutt

Are they all still on?
Which would have the most interesting terrain?
Since technically we are not supposed to take our camper on gravel - should we avoid any of these due to really bad gravel sections. We are willing to take a risk but not if the roads are excessively crap.

Obviously we will take into account where we might be coming from but that could change if everybody says you should go to XXXX it's fantastic!

Thanks again.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 April 2011, 8:36 PM  
Huruwai by a country mile.

Interesting hilly limestone terrain with a real wild feel.

That whole coastline down to New Plymouth is one of NZ's best kept secrets for cruising around on, but yeah heaps of gravel.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 11 April 2011, 4:02 AM  
I'll second Jamie's recommendation of Huriwai. Thirty years ago this valley was used to introduce UoA second-year Geology students to the delights of geological mapping and field work, do they still do so, does anyone know?

The road out to Huriwai (south from Port Waikato) has been maintained over the last few years and last year the gravel only started a couple of kilometres before the event centre. It is usually in fairly good condition. The road south of the map used to be (and probably still is) gravel of varying quality for many many kilometres.

Show Profile  X Posted: 11 April 2011, 4:39 AM  
There's that word 'hilly' again. Not the most technical map in the world contour wise but yeah Huriwai does have that wow factor, esp if you've never run on limestone terrain before.
Last xmas our Aussie hire car went though some of the Queensland floods, through some dodgy fords (always sending our young sons in first to test the depth and current), out to some bush camping spots and an along an interesting 'track' to an orienteering event. No worries but we were quite anal in cleaning the evidence away before return the thing.
Putting on my tourism hat which i don't own...
So if you like the sound of windy back country roads (not all gravel)through less tamed landscape Jamies suggestion could appeal if you don't have time to head into Northland where you would find better classic type beaches and more historical sites, like Waitangi, Kauri gum digging mueseums and old Settler buildings etc.
Heading south from Huriwai you could make your way down to Raglan, then Kawhia (wh=f), continuing south via Te Anga heading inland to Waitomo Caves. If you havn't been below ground, it's touristy, but just do it. They do have more adventurous Black Water Rafting trips and Abseiling for the brave also, if thats your thing.
You won't be breaking any speed records around these parts, especially in a campervan but the roads are bitumin for most of that route.
If you and Mapgirl make it that far without getting lost (orienteers never get lost do they?) you may be keen for a bit more civilisation by now so this could be a good time to shoot Eastward to Rotorua along a scenic route via Te Kuiti sheepcountry, along highway 30, possibly turning off the main road at Pureora Forst park if you're in need of a nice and quiet doc site, then perhaps looking at the Maraetai Hyrdo Dam at Magakino, over the Whakamaru Dam and along the Beautiful Waikato River until hitting Highway one , then briefly north and west again to Rotorua, leaving the Taupo area until after Easter. You could and should spend some time at Rotorua if you want to get to know it and make the most of all sorts of outdoor and cultual things.
There are three or four routes toward Napier/Hastings from Rotorua... if you want some beutiful beaches, and whale rider settlements then go around the east cape, a short cut would be going through the gorge turning off at Opotiki but you miss the best beaches. If you would prefer the native NZ bush then the route through Murupara (the one convenience shop has the counties most successful lotto record, possibly cos it's the only hope of getting their hands on the scarce folding stuff around these parts), mind your belongings, There is some stunning bush and walking tracks around Whirinaki near Minginui but is off the main road a bit. Further along is the more accessable and serene Lake Waikaremoana. If you wish to you might be able to find a tourist thing run by the local Maori Tahoe people, they are very territorial about this area and command respect! They can also be very hospitable and informative on their terms.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone, but I love this country. Don't get me started on the National Park, Turangi and Taupo area, or The Coromandel!
Hopefully the weather will play ball, wev'e had the best summer ever, but the the nights are just now starting to cool and things will change.

Of course for all know you guys may have done some of this before so just some ideas anyway. Others may have some different favourites.
Happy travels.

Show Profile  X Posted: 11 April 2011, 4:43 AM  
whoops, a few typos there, oh well

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 April 2011, 5:04 AM  
Pity about the practicalities. The events at Roxburgh and Alexandra would be better than all of the above.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 April 2011, 6:52 AM  
Thanks guys - I knew you'd say Huruwai as that one is the least easy to fit in our embryonic itinerary.

"X" - thanks for that detailed response (I truly appreciate the effort and we might take up some of those suggestions)

Have Black water rafted in Waitomo many years ago and enjoyed very much but my new water resistant camera never worked again. Would like to abseil there but terrified of heights.

Been to Raglan during Waitangi carnival a few years back - had a swim at the black sandy beach (in our O trousers). Have been to Rotorua but never stayed long as the sulphur smell gives me a headache after a while. Maybe you just get used to it. Might try again this trip.

With regard to cleaning hire vehicles that seems to be a standard orienteering holiday task. Worst one was in SA a few years back. Terrible red dust everywhere. One lot got done by their rental company as somebody (surely not an orienteer) dobbed them in and the rental company knew where they were. Cost them a few hundred dollars to sort it out. We might have to watch this in the future as tracking devices become more prevalent.

Show Profile  X Posted: 11 April 2011, 7:30 AM  
wow, where havn't you been, apart from north of Orewa? What about Coromandel?

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 April 2011, 7:43 AM  
been there as well - last trip but didn't spend a lot of time there. We are probably guilty of trying to fit too much into a trip rather than relaxing and enjoying fewer locations. And of course including orienteering events.

This is our 4th trip to NZ and feel a bit guilty not going to Aus Easter 3-day in WA as only been there once and never orienteered, only rogained there.

Show Profile  X Posted: 11 April 2011, 7:52 AM  
It wasn't the Sulphur in Rotovagas, it was Brents socks.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 12 April 2011, 1:03 AM  
Watch out if you take the Murupara/Waikaremoana option, it was recommended to my mother in law by my brother 2 years ago, and what should have been a 4 hour drive from Tauranga to Hastings via Taupo turned into 8-9! She doesn't like windy roads or gravel so didn't enjoy the lovely scenery along the way.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz