maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Finns in NZ to film orienteering

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 15 October 2010, 5:56 PM  
I just received this email (and have directed the guys to look here for their answers):

"Hi

I got your e-mail adress from David (Brickhill-Jones). He said that I should probably contact you.

Me and my brother Vili are coming to New Zealand in January. We are going to film few episodes to Finnish sport TV show called VO2 and also to WEB.

The idea is to show people in Finland what the training, orienteering and hiking are like in NZ. And of course we want to show all that beautiful landscape and nature of yours.

We are going to stay 2-3 months in New Zealand and of course we are not just filming. We will combine lots of trainings to our trip too.

So I'm asking you if you know some nice hiking/running trails where we can film at. What are the "must to see" places in NZ in your opinnion as a runner?

We represent club Rajamäen Rykmentti and both of us belong to the mens team. Vili has represented Finnish Junior national team in years 2007-2009. Vili has also been succesfull in H21 finnish champs in relay with Merz and Tervo.

At this point any kind of help would be more than nice. If you know some people who we can contact? Any accommodation possibilities? We are also interested to do some trainings
with local orienteerers and we are also willing to help to arrange trainigs competitions etc if needed.

Best Regards
Pyry Niemi"

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 15 October 2010, 6:32 PM  
Hi Pyry and Vili,
I have just moved to the UK for a year or two so I can't offer any help while you're in NZ but I'm happy to give you some advice before you go.

The first orienteering/training I think of when you say January/February is Sprint the Bay 21st-23rd January (a week-end of 6 sprint races near Napier, look for "Sprint the Bay 2011" on Facebook) and the Kaweka Challenge 26 & 27th February (NZ's highest mountain marathon) http://www.kawekachallenge.org.nz/.

This website has an "Events" section which should have all NZ orienteering events on it. (I think it needs updating though, I'm sure New Plymouth isn'tt he only place having events in January and February!)

Other websites for running events include www.coolrunning.co.nz and www.endurancesport.co.nz

There are thousands of places to go hikng (in NZ we call it tramping)! "The best one day walk in the world" is the Tongariro Crossing in the middle of the North Island. Fiordland and the Southern Alps (at the bottom of the South Island) are not very original names but they are amazing places you should go and see.

Good luck.

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 16 October 2010, 2:53 AM  
here's another good site... http://www.totalsport.co.nz/. Aucklands North Shore Coastal Challenge has a very large entry with a variety of lengths.
and don't forget the Wild Turkey events (find via maptalk links)There are usually a handfull of orienteers willing to thrash themselves out in the Whatipu Bush, Auckland mid Jan 2011.

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 26 October 2010, 2:27 PM  
Id be keen. There is a bunch of us in Auckland who do a lot of running, oreinteering and general adventuring.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 26 October 2010, 3:14 PM  
Same here down in Christchurch.... and the South Island is much superior to that North one

Show Profile  pyryn Posted: 5 November 2010, 2:01 PM  
Hi

Thanks guys for those tips. I don't know (yet) which one is better Northern or Southern island but that I am going to find out. Maybe we put out a challenge for that

At the moment it seems that we'll arrive to your great country in the end of Jan.. I'll put some more details when I know more..

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz