maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Easter 2011?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 September 2010, 12:56 PM  
Actually LB you could maybe help us kiwis out with some locations. I'll be flying into the set of The Castle in a coupla weeks, where do you think I should go next?

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 25 September 2010, 4:11 PM  
does a Picnic at Hanging Rock interest you Michael?

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 26 September 2010, 4:43 AM  
Hanging Rock is cool.

We actually got lost up on the top and couldn't find our way down for a while. There wasn't anybody else around either as it was late in the arvo. Seriously, it's true! Of course we didn't have a map and took no notice of our route up.

BTW don't visit on valentines day (the day Miranda disappeared) as apparently it is really crowded

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 September 2010, 8:00 AM  
A bit out of the way for this trip. Assuming that the filming was actually done at the Hanging Rock that Google found for me. Not that far from the Oz Rogaine Championship that I did near Scone. And I'm not that interested in reality cooking shows for the small screen thank you. I need a tale of drama and intrigue set (and filmed) in eg the Victorian goldfields. Where was Ned Kelly filmed? (Praps I'd better see it first.)

Show Profile  TedvG Posted: 5 October 2010, 4:29 PM  
Simon - Good to see you and other NZers in the Barossa last week. Are you planning a Waitangi series in Feb 2011? (Ref your post of 24 Sep).

Michael - Google is confused. The real Hanging Rock is about 45 min drive north of Melbourne on Calder Hwy near Woodend on the way to the Goldfields. It was mapped a couple of years ago for an end of year event. Wineries, bakeries, and coffee shops nearby.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 10 January 2011, 11:40 AM  
Furhter to my original post.....

We've decided to ditch Western Oz, so it's either NZ or stay home and get fatter.

While the Easter weekend web site I was pointed to gives me plenty of info relating to those events I cannot find any info relating to other events (North Island Schools were mentioned) either preceeding or following that weekend. We would probably like to stay about 3 weeks so I'd like to get more events in if possible. That 3 weeks will flex depending on what orienteering might be available on the North Island.

Thanks for any further info you can supply.

I think we may have talked some "O" friends into coming along as well. Mind you the dollar exchange rate was a major factor as well.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 10 January 2011, 12:38 PM  
North Island Secondary Schools are on 29-30th April (Fri/Sat) on rolling to steep farmland with deeply incised complex gullies, not far from Taupo.

There's an event in Auckland - Ngapuriri (Huruwai), Port Waikato - on Sunday 17 April, steep and rocky with lots of rock features, cliffs and faces.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 12 January 2011, 5:41 AM  
Thanks Martin

I am assuming Schools have events for older generations. Is it pre-entry. We did a Waitangi 7 person relay (I think the event name started with a "K") in similar terrain near Taupo a few years back. Was fun but I'll need to improve fitness to tackle similair hills.

Is Auckland event enter on day?

Funny how the common denominator is "steep".

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 January 2011, 6:22 AM  
Yeah but for the moment, dry. You can come over early if you like...

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 12 January 2011, 6:58 AM  
There are a couple of mtb rogaines on April 30th/May 1st on a very well tracked forest adjacent to Woodhill Forest. See www.rogaineseries.co.nz for more info.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 19 January 2011, 4:07 AM  
Thanks Rob - sounds great but we won't be bringing bikes.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 19 January 2011, 9:46 AM  
Michael

With regard to the wet....

Here in Newcastle (coastal NSW) we haven't had much rain at all over the last few months and its bizzare to think there have been floods in Regional NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC.

Seems perfectly normal here. A little drizzle this morning but it looks OK for Street Orienteering this arvo. Sun is out.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 January 2011, 3:43 AM  
Yeah but you had a bit of an earthquake in 1989, so its not your turn again yet. Mind you that was pretty small compared to Christchurch, and especially Hawkes Bay so maybe something is just round the corner for you.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 February 2011, 9:18 AM  
Finally made the decision today and we opted to purchase some tickets - we are heading over. Maybe I'd better get a little bit fitter (and slimmer) before then otherwise I will be total crap.

Should be a few from OZ - at least 4 from Newcastle.

Next task - place entries and hire a campervan.

Arriving Wed 13th Apr through unitl Wed 4th April so hopefully pick up a couple of other events around the NI.

Actually my 74 y.o. mum is over there right now enjoying her first OS trip.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 February 2011, 9:21 AM  
Obviously that return date should be 4th May

I thought I could edit my posts???

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz