maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Chch Champs..?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 September 2010, 12:40 PM  
"Canterbury Champs Middle Distance, Sat 16 October - This event has been Cancelled.

Other Canterbury Champs events (Sprint, 16th Oct and Long,17th Oct) will proceed as planned"

Umm what? I do believe this is meant to be super series...

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:10 AM  
Wow. Considerate.

As if some of the people involved in the organisation of this event won't have enough to do. I think it's commendable to a club like PAPO that they are still going ahead with the Canterbury Champs at all. They have had to cancel a schools weekend and move an OY as well. I would imagine our whole club would have to be put on hold for a few months if this was to happen in Nelson while we got together the people to check mapped areas for damage etc.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:24 AM  
control 1: erosion gully
control 2: erosion gully
control 3: erosion gully
control 4: ruins
control 5: fallen tree
control 6: erosion gully
control 7: erosion gully
control 8: fence end
control 9: erosion gully
control 10: erosion gully
control 11: ruins
follow tapes 200m to finish

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:25 AM  
I commend PAPO for still being able to put on the sprint and the long. All of our thoughts are with you down there guys, hope you are able to get some sleep between the aftershocks!

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:27 AM  
You PAPO guys are legends - fantastic that you are putting anything on at all considering everything thats on your plates right now...wish we were able to assist, although a little tricky from afar - good luck with it all!

Greg's a good guy really, just a wee case of mouth moving quicker than his brain I suspect.... :-)

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:38 AM  
Think the map where the event was going to be has undergone a little bit of liquifaction. The houses in this area (which you have to go through to get to the map) have been cordoned off which means we can't get into that area until they are knocked down or made safe. Also map may or may not need some updating? Thats is my understanding anyway....

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 18 September 2010, 8:54 AM  
A (non championship - only a mens and a womens course) middle distance on the Saturday Morning is in the pipeline to accommodate the SuperSeries.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 September 2010, 2:31 AM  
Thanks Pete but things I say are very deliberate (mostly)

Way to overreact much, (just like the world cup, come on we didn't WIN a game), no one died in the quake, and as far as I know the majority of orienteers are largely unaffected, all I heard was the quake did 90 million dollars worth of improvements to Chch.

Thanks Tane and Carsten responses with real info and valid reasons, any idea of when confirmation about this middle will be considering entries close tomorrow?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 30 September 2010, 9:40 AM  
Just be sure to find acommodation somewhere like Avonside or Kaiapoi to fully experience the wonderful improvements to Chch and Canterbury

Show Profile  idiot Posted: 30 September 2010, 1:42 PM  
...or maybe Westport for Greg, somewhere to dampen his agression.

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 1 October 2010, 6:40 AM  
I haven't heard any more about the possible middle distance event. If it happens it sounds like there will only be two courses and since entry for it isn't on the entry form I presume if it goes ahead it will be enter on the day. Or perhaps email ahead so a start list can be generated.

If it happens it will still be on the Sat morning as that's the only available time, I also assume it will have to be at a map fairly close to Chch since everything needs to be moved for the sprint which is scheduled for first starters at 3:30pm.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 1 October 2010, 11:04 AM  
The area where the middle champs were to be was very much affected, Greg, which for anyone reading a scrap of the news would have been quite obvious. Many orienteers have cracks in their houses, us included, which we've just spent a week having plastered and painted and some orienteers have much worse damage than the kind that can be plastered over.

We have organised permissions for an alternative venue - Leithfield beach - and so now have check if the original planner and controller are OK to plan there. It will just be a men's and women's elite course.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 October 2010, 2:07 PM  
Yeah well I was in Oz at the time and it was on the news, they mentioned it was a 7.1 earthquake with no deaths and only 2 serious injuries, they showed some old damaged buildings and a crack in the ground, then they started comparing it to the 7.1 Haiti earthquake, where 230,000 people had died, 300,000 had been injured, and whole cities flattened, so yeah I'd say the majority of people in chch are largely unaffected, some property damage well thats what insurance is for.

Thanks for everyones efforts in trying to get a middle, I'm not unthankful I just dont believe that the world has stopped down there for some cracked buildings.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 5 October 2010, 3:17 PM  
cracked buildings... and burst stormwater pipes, closed roads, fallen powerlines, tensing up everytime you hear a loud low pitch rumble which is more often than not a truck, it wears on you greg, i dont think you'd swap places with us if you had the choice.

the comparisons were made between haiti and chch were natural, they had similar magnitudes. While PAPO members have worked on getting the event to run, i'm pretty sure all orienteering stopped in Haiti and probably still hasnt restarted.

little bit o respect mate. and we just had an aftershock as i type this which stopped by heart. piss off.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 6 October 2010, 3:53 AM  
Greg is the Paul Henry of orienteering.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 6 October 2010, 8:48 AM  
Insurance pays for things it doesn't give you the time to organise them. Many people have lots of extra things to organise now and as I've said there are some orienteers who have a lot more serious damage than cracks. For some people their world might not have stopped but it has completely changed.

In any case the main point on the middle distance event was, that the area where it was to be held was completely trashed. So apart from the fact that it would have been quite disrespectful to the community to hold it there, it is impossible.

We have made the effort to organise an alternative, although your postings Greg certainly make me wish we hadn't. Georgia is still planning even though now the event is not at the end of the university term and she no longer has a study break week before her exams start. The original controller was unable to do it at such short notice as he will be away most of this week and weekend but we have found someone else.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz