maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

04 Sept Earth Quake

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 23 February 2011, 12:52 AM  
Message from ACW this morning:

We are all ok. ,House generally ok. Can you spread this around as I only have my phone and nowhere to re charge. Its going to be a long haul. Jan and Ian [Harrison] ok. I think next door street has serious injuries from falling rocks. Al Jean Ed Katie

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 23 February 2011, 1:44 PM  
Happy to report that the Metherell family are all OK.
Cheers
Alister

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 February 2011, 2:19 PM  
Appreciate the news, realising that lots of you may not have power.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 24 February 2011, 5:26 AM  
Had a quick message from Jenni and Carsten this morning.

'...we're all fine and even the house too - all of our thoughts are with the families, friends of people that have lost their lives

Jenni, Kaia, Torun and Carsten'

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 February 2011, 10:13 AM  
From the PAPO website:
1. 1610 starts in the Chch City Council orienteering day on the 20th!
2. Could be a misunderstanding but this looks like an item dated post EQ: "Free public event still on. Families and beginers are invited to McLeans Island to sample orienteering on Tuesday 1 March".
Go PAPO!

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 3 March 2011, 11:57 AM  
Since some people may have been planning to come down for the SI champs. I just received this email from PAPO. Oh and Michael there was a very low key yellow course at McLeans Island on Tuesday, a number of people turned up and it was a nice wee run around.

All the PAPO March and April events have been cancelled. We are looking into the possibility of turning these into postponements. We are also looking to mount some very low key almost training level events in a few weeks time. We will keep you posted.

The events that are cancelled/postponed are...

March 6 McQueens OY
March 27 Pines Beach
April 2 + 3 SI Champs
April 17 Waikari

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 4 March 2011, 11:14 AM  
I don't know how and I'm busy enough as it is with organising our Schools series, but is there anyway that the orienteering community can support PAPO through the next few months by outsourcing functions to other clubs? Lets all discuss it and think laterally about this.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 4 March 2011, 11:19 AM  
Ah! For instance. Can NOC run an event in Hamner for you? I haven't asked anyone and we'd have to think about it but it may be possible. We turn up with all our gear and run the event for you. No promises. Or perhaps DoC run a South Canterbury Event? No idea and a lot of hard work but perhaps if you are considering cancelling any events in May then we should explore options.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 March 2011, 2:31 AM  
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/events/event.cfm?e=3251

Co-promotion by OHV and WOC. If PAPO doesn't have earthquake-related costs we'll give the proceeds to one of the recognised appeals.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 10 March 2011, 8:58 AM  
Not sure what our costs are going to be. I think all our hardware is OK but our favourite Bottle Lake, for instance is being covered in liquefaction and rubble. (We can hope that we might ba able to request landscaping when more pressing issues are dealt with) But with all our Port Hills maps closed for safety I'm not sure where/when we can have close-by orienteering.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 March 2011, 2:12 PM  
This thread might as well be "disasters in general". Sarah Gray in Japan we're thinking of you. Any other orienteers there? (That's not to say we've forgotten about Christchurch.)

Show Profile  Southernman Posted: 16 March 2011, 6:03 AM  
About running an event in South Canterbury, I would be keen to do plan one and I could probably get a controller from somewhere else in DOC if it is wanted

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 March 2011, 8:31 AM  
Glad to hear you're back Sarah:-))

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 March 2011, 5:39 AM  
Tomorrow night's mini rogaine in Wellington is a benefit for PAPO, see link 9 March above. The effects on the club may be subtle but nonetheless real, such as a shift from close to home to further out events with higher travel, reduced volunteer time meaning higher costs, and charitable trusts having less money for sport.

If anyone not coming to the rogaine wants to contribute (eg elsewhere in the country) you can transfer say a typical entry fee into the OHV bank account 010514 0135615-00 with a reference of Q-Max. If you do it by 31 March we can just add it onto the cheque we send off to PAPO.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 June 2011, 3:07 PM  
Hang in there guys.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz