maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Appendix

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 21 July 2010, 6:28 AM  
Im sitting here at work and after a late night, have been thinking as I do and was wondering....How many of you Elites and Youngish? Orienteers have had your appendix removed....Im serious....I really would like to know? I know Todd O, and Greg and Jack V....and how many others?Girls too.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 July 2010, 8:34 AM  
Yep, had it whipped out last century. I wasn't really using it anyway! It took about 6 weeks after the op before I could really run again. It's a bugger for Ross, worst timing ever, but at least he won't have to worry about it again! He will comeback faster too, due to his lighter weight

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 21 July 2010, 2:44 PM  
LOL....god, could he be any lighter!!!??Thanks Darren.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 22 July 2010, 12:26 AM  
Debbie had the remains of her appendix removed, after it burst while the doctors were trying to decide if she had kidney stones or not.

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 22 July 2010, 12:38 AM  
James Bradshaw had his out last year by keyhole surgery and was racing two weeks later. Ross has had a very similar case, so hopefully he'll be able to get some runs in at O-Ringen and then race hard at WOC.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 22 July 2010, 10:38 AM  
Did James's appendix burst Todd?....dont you go encouraging my boy to run if he's not up to it. Physiotherapy is different to Surgery. LOL

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 22 July 2010, 11:55 AM  
me too, although i'm not elite or young. It happened when i was about 13, i used to run home from school accross some farms, nearly diddn't make it after fainting a couple of times on the way. Mum got me to the horspiddle where they removed it asap. no keyhole in those days, we were tough

Show Profile  James Posted: 22 July 2010, 12:34 PM  
Yes Val, mine did burst too. And I started running 6 days after surgery, and was racing less than 2 weeks after. Larascopic surgery is largely uninvasive, so its pretty easy to be back up and running again. Ross is improving each day, and managed to go around the majority of the sprint course yesterday. And I'm guessing he'll go out on the middle today. You worry too much Val!

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 22 July 2010, 1:28 PM  
When you are a parent of four beautiful children you see if you worry James!!!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 23 July 2010, 1:34 AM  
The recovery time probably varies a lot depending on how long the time between the appendix bursting and the surgery was and how much of the gunk they were able to remove.
Debbie had to spend a week in hospital and after they sent her home, she had to go back in for another week.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz