maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

How cool Nationals was

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 May 2010, 5:54 PM  
I have been thinking recently about how cool Nationals was down in Central Otago. Just thought it was worth dwelling on for a bit.

I have listed my top five moments, please add yours and just drag out that feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment for the organisers just a little more.......

1) Running to the start in the Roxburgh sprint. Arriving at an event is always so exciting then when the run to the start takes you into beautiful fast open forest with an avenue of poplars who could ask for more. I can't wait to run on that map again.

2)Spiking the second control at Bannockburn perfectly after finding a way through the cliffs. After this I looked up at the crazy gold sluicings and it all went downhill from there.

3)Being swamped in the mass start at Naseby after I foolishly tried to read y map. Being part of a herd of rampaging beasts even if only for a minute or two.

4)Seeing my teammates Nick and Lizzie pull out Stellar performances to claim us the National Relay title! woohoo.

5)The best moment, collecting controls after the classic, wandering quietly around the rocks looking over the vast central otago landscape, having a bit of a chill out.

Thanks heaps to all involved in making this memorable event happen!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 May 2010, 4:17 AM  
1. Roxborough Tailings; nice terrain, nice forest, plenty of interesting details. Gets my 'new map of the year' vote!

2. the feeling of excitement and concern while standing at the start of the long, after seeing what can only be described as a sea of a thousand rocks, then after settling into the race being able to run full speed through that stuff.

3. How cool was it? pretty cool for an aucklander as the thin clean air turned crispy and we woke to snow on the hills around Alex. Brrrrr

4. Seeing old friends and taking part in sledging that an aussie cricketer would be proud of

5. The scenic splendour at Irishman Creek.
Snow covered alps, soft golden native grasses, surreal deap turquiose colour of lake Pukaki, warm sun, friendly people. What a setting, it makes you forget about the agressive and thorney vegetation that you are still removing from the legs weeks after.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 20 May 2010, 7:31 PM  
1. Assembly amongst the vines at bannockburn, over looking the lake, was a truely awesome setting.

2. Singing happy (30th) birthday to one of NZs better knowen orienteers in the start box less than 1 min before the national relays started.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz