maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Queens Birtday 3 day

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 25 February 2010, 12:49 PM  
Auckland and Northwest clubs would like to announce an embargo from training on Telephone Track or Whites Line maps till after their use at the Queen's Birthday 3 day this year.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 25 February 2010, 11:59 PM  
Who let the birt out?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 26 February 2010, 3:09 AM  
In addition to what rob.g said: For Queens Birthday (June 5-7) and for Auckland Champs (10th October), AOC seeks to embargo the area between Inland Road, the coastline, Puketapu Rd and a track between Coast Rd and Inland Rd that is 600m south of the junction of Restall Rd and Coast Rd. Please refer to the AOC Embargo area map available on the auckoc.org.nz website for further detail.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 26 February 2010, 3:35 AM  
does it really matter, everyone has ran most of woodhill a thousand times and shouldn't the jwocers be encouraged to get as much sanddune terrain training as possible at this point in time.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 February 2010, 6:25 AM  
I think so (about both Paul's points).

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 February 2010, 9:43 AM  
They can still train elsewhere in Woodhill but the areas set aside for QB have been used once each in years, although there have ben some overlaps from neighbouring maps like Spag soup, so best to keep them a bit new.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 26 February 2010, 4:13 PM  
True rob, I'm really just thinking of the local jwoc guys, and those two maps, esp telephone track, offering much more routechoice and tight veg over wiggily contour training opportunities than the other areas i can think of, plus they are reasonably handy to get to. It seems a shame to deny these guys the awesome stuff at their back door.
Could they be exempt??? Maybe they were planning a training camp there??? Afterall, the team for this year has already been chosen so any advantage later is probably less important.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 27 February 2010, 1:30 AM  
And you have compared that to what the JWOC areas are like Paul?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 27 February 2010, 5:19 AM  
i don't think woodhill is that similar at all, i'm not trying to pick the best training area for jwoc, i just noticed that some of the guys were using the embargoed areas up to now probably because they are a bit more technical. i think they should have more freedom to do whatever they need to, that's all.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 27 February 2010, 6:38 AM  
to help clarify a matter, anna fosberg and her mum came and stayed with us during the year and anna's mum who has been orienteering since she was quite young went out to Woodhill and said the terrain was VERY similar to where they will running in Alborg, Denmark this year and that it was a great place for the NZ jwoc team to train. I think the area was where that 'maze' area is....but my 'rugrats' can confirm that as they took them out there. (I dont care one way or the other)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 27 February 2010, 11:05 AM  
As a side note we have very poor systems for notification of areas that are embargoed.

I know for a fact there are some out there who have trained in areas which are embargoed, sometimes with knowledge that the area is embargoed, but most times I think it is simply because they don't clearly know which areas.

But breaching embargo? Does it actually mean anything? Would we actually ban someone for breaching embargo? We really do rely on honesty and respect of other competitors - but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Food for thought

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 March 2010, 3:27 AM  
An embargo does mean something, because most of us are honest and will respect them. They are worthwhile because the ideal we aspire to is terrain that no-one is familiar with.

Compliance is an issue for the controller, and if a breach is proved then the competitor(s) should be marked unofficial.

JWOC team members however (and anyone else whose goals are beyond New Zealand) should seek training wherever they can find it. If that is the QB areas they would willingly declare themselves unofficial.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 1 March 2010, 2:20 PM  
And if you dont read maptalk would you know the areas are embargoed?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 2 March 2010, 1:05 AM  
How do you know when events are on? (sure as hell cant be the AOA newsletter)

If you want to go training somewhere, surely it is your responsibility to know if that area is embargoed or not, and that means actively looking for that data, and as listed above AOC will also use their website as well?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 3 March 2010, 2:02 AM  
Greg, judging by your post frequency you are a regular visitor to maptalk ... at the top of the page there is a link to EVENTS ... might pay to go and have a look sometime

Show Profile  mark Posted: 3 March 2010, 2:40 AM  
You've lost the plot honcho.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz