maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Orienteers in Kiwi Brevet

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 February 2010, 7:12 AM  
A bunch of MTB-orienteers are among the 75 riders in the Kiwi Brevet which starts in Blenheim on Saturday. Modelled on the 4000km Great Divide Race down the Rockies from Canada to Mexico, its an 1100km unsupported ride through the top of the South Island. The specified route consists mainly of back-country roads and 4WD tracks.

They include:
Auck Rob Garden, Marquita Gelderman, Phil White and Anne Mortimer, Claude Dabaliz
Wgtn Simon Kennett who did the GDR and planned the Brevet, John Randal, Andrew McLellan, Barryn Westfield, Bill Brierley, Dave Rudge, Dave King, Jo Holden, Chris Sherwood
SI Mondo Kopua and no doubt more that I don't recognise

http://kiwibrevet.blogspot.com/

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 4 February 2010, 8:27 AM  
Also John and Laurence Mote from the SI.
We are doing the 7-8 day version rather than racing it, and I guess half the field will do that and half will be going for it.

We all have spot trackers so it will be interesting to watch the speedsters at the front via the website. No time less than 4 days will be recognised, everyone must have a stationary 4 hour period every 24 hours, and we must navigate the exact course or be penalised twice the slowest time for any section missed. Need to be totally self sufficient as far as bike maintenence, tents, first aid sleeping bags etc, so bikes are generally 4 or 5 kilos heavier than normal. Have packed a very large pot of chafe cream....

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 February 2010, 10:03 AM  
John and Lawrence may need some explanation in this forum: John was an elite in the 70s. Lawrence (and sister Angela) were promising juniors but went other ways - Lawrence into biking. He works for Ground Effect the bike apparel company.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 4 February 2010, 4:20 PM  
So whats the odds on Garden making it?

Better or worse than for Brent to make it from his car to the startline of the remaining superseries races?

Both pretty slim chances...I give it to garden by the width of a worn out gooch.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 February 2010, 5:15 AM  
They're off. Leaders moving along the coast towards Rarangi,and the last flat riding they will have for a while.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 February 2010, 12:36 PM  
Sifter (in the lead) is an alias for John Randal, who won the Ak Attack with Simon Kennett.

http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 February 2010, 3:27 AM  
The leaders are somewhere round Waiuta, a gold-mining ghost town in the Grey valley, while the more relaxed riders are spread out back to Lake Rotoiti.

I wonder if this "brevet" idea could be applied to an o-tour I've periodically thought about. Orienteering on some simple but picturesque maps (back-of-an-envelope done in a half day) in small-town/back-country New Zild. For example Waiuta. There are some gems of parks round the place, example Kimberly Park Waimate. And of course there are some club maps that are not well known outside their area: example Rotoiti. Driving between (maybe some navigation to take you through interesting places). And a cafe guide...

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 9 February 2010, 1:25 AM  
Looking at LiveTracker, Marquita has got this one nailed. Apparently, she has been travelling at an average of 300mph with top speed over 80000.

Mind you, her route choice looks decidedly dodgy, to say the least.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz