maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Winter Classic 2009

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 18 May 2009, 12:22 AM  
The Wairarapa and Wellington clubs are holding the 23rd annual Winter Classic on 2nd August 2009 incorporating the Wayne Cretney memorial.

The Winter Classic is an endurance event that is both physically and mentally demanding. The event will be as a BLODSLITET event; it is like a relay except you do all the legs yourself! There are six trophies for various grades, including the handsome Wayne Cretney Memorial cup. You are free to compete on any course and survive a Winter Classic!

There will also be a new course added - the three hour
Rogaine Challenge. After competing in the City Safari you
can try another rogaine which will test your mind and body to its limits.

This year the classic will not be in the Wairarapa but in the Wellington hills on a NEW MAP. Map: Aro Valley, 1:5 000, 5m contour, 'Forgotten' Valley - Mainly steep native bush with some pines with some Wellington street running included. Some stunning vistas, some gun-emplacements, some lovely open bush, some cliff and rock features and plenty of man-made features. Red courses not for the faint hearted - this is quite rugged terrain with steep slippery slopes and variable runnability. Spikes and full-gear recommended. Orange, Yellow, and White can enter on the day but pre-entry preferred and will be not so tough. Be prepared to be surprised - a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde map - vastly different from one place to the next.

Those from up north and down south have no excuse this year - they can fly in to Wellington and the event will start in the heart of the city with little travel involved.

maptalk event details:
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/events/event.cfm?e=2399

www.winterclassic.co.nz

NZOF archives:
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/NZOF/WinterClassicmenu.asp

You have to pre-enter unless you want to enter the orange yellow, and white on-the-day courses.

Enter and enjoy!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 May 2009, 3:34 AM  
Sounds awesome Bryan, can't wait!

Keen to help get more elites down for it...so who is up for this...conditional on getting some good maps...

Elite (and all comers) Sprint Training. Cool Wellington maps. Saturday 1st August. Organised by Jamie and Penny, 4th best orienteering sprint folk comedy duo in Wellington....

Details to come...includes Nat/D Squad Biannual get together.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 18 May 2009, 4:38 AM  
Bryan

Is the main (WC) Trophy still only open to the over-40s?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 18 May 2009, 5:57 AM  
The main trophy (a big silver one) is open to anyone over 40 (including women) and is a tribute to Wayne Cretney who ran in the
M40s.

Other trophies (with the special logo showing a heart (with a tear
of water/blood coming from it) are for: M21Aopen/W21Aopen/W40/M50/W50/M60/W60/M18/W18

I think that this year will be a special one (for lovers of this type of event).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2009, 9:02 AM  
Fantastic! The Aro Valley with its old cottages and steep streets is one of my favourite parts of Wellington - and I see on the flyer that Bryan has found passable native bush nearby. And Jamie's sprint idea the day before - keen to debate Wellington's best sprint maps with you Jamie! An awesome weekend.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 July 2009, 1:06 AM  
Detailed information about the event available now including timetable, course information, map notes and directions. This year the last leg will have an added quirk for the red courses - two pivot controls and four butterfly loops - good practice for WOC and JWOC long.

programme is available at: www.winterclassic.co.nz/programme.pdf

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 July 2009, 1:08 AM  
Sorry that should be:

http://www.winterclassic.co.nz/wc/programme.pdf

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 17 July 2009, 4:01 AM  
Only 7 days to go to the closing date for entries.

Don't forget to enter this classic event. This year promises to be
even more special than normal.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 23 July 2009, 9:38 PM  
Last day for entries. Email me if you want to come - details and entry list on www.winterclass.co.nz. Late entries will be accepted ($5 extra).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 July 2009, 3:23 AM  
We had a little "taster" of the area in Wednesday's afterwork rogaine. Amazingly passable bush and the historic Holloway Road. Can't wait to explore it again in daylight with Bryan's more detailed mapping.

I hope we'll revisit the fairy-tale Waimaphihi Reserve. A bit of digging produced this: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/tombeard/vicino/history_tearo_waimapihi.html

Get your entry in. This will be value for the map alone!

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 25 July 2009, 10:54 PM  
Thanks for that digging, Michael - there are some wonderful places on the map. I've just come back from a tough day in the field. The grotto I've called Samantha's clearing is a wonderful, colourful place (where is a little note in memorial to her)

Hey Jamie, what happened, we've heard no more on your squad training idea and you haven't entered the classic?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 26 July 2009, 9:09 PM  
And you even had a free entry too, Jamie from your win in the City Safari.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 27 July 2009, 2:31 AM  
Jamie and Penny have entered! Just a bit tardy.

That should liven up the open classes considerably.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 27 July 2009, 2:56 AM  
Hope you whacked him with a late fee

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 27 July 2009, 3:29 AM  
No, he still got his free entry - happy to have someone of his calibre - I'll get my own back when he experiences the pain of the event.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 July 2009, 3:46 AM  
Ha, luckily I love pain, and you obviously love giving it, so its win win. Sorry for the late entry.

Re the sprint training, we put word out to all the squads, local clubs and maptalk, not many responses. Deciding tonight whether to proceed. It seems most people think that the Winter Classic will be enough orienteering for the weekend!

I can't wait! Head to head racing, bush, new area, close to home...brilliant!!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz