maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Three Way Tie for First Place

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 April 2009, 11:24 AM  
Stats boffins, has it ever happened before in any sporting championship?

NZ Long Distance Orienteering Championship, Sunday 12 April, M55A class, timing by Sport-Ident to 1 second accuracy. www.orienteeringauckland.org.nz/nationals09

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 14 April 2009, 12:40 PM  
Is it time for a light beam? Wont fully eliminate the possibility of this happening again but can reduce it.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 April 2009, 12:50 PM  
Why eliminate it?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 14 April 2009, 1:00 PM  
Yeah soggy, with the numbers in most fields, didn't just about everyone get a certificate.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 14 April 2009, 1:34 PM  
With regard to Greg's posting, even though it is probably obscene and indecent, can we please have 10 year age grades from 40 with no 35 grades, and 21a should go to 21 short, because they are just not popular, and we need to reduce fields of 1 2 or 3, or combine.

I would much prefer bigger fields, even if I go through some years as the oldest in the grade before the next step up.
Many times I see the older ones beating the younger ones anyway.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 14 April 2009, 2:12 PM  
I agree Rob, 10 year age grades would give a much better comp.

21a more problematic as it does lay right in between the 21e and 21as in length, but with 35a joining it there would be slightly more competition. Not all 20-40 year olds are able to run elite, and they may want a longer course than the 21AS offers.

But why are there so many B grades? Surely just 12b (white) and 14b (yellow) for juniors starting out, and then M/W short orange and long orange options. These are development grades, not competition grades - why are we as a sport treating them as competition grades? The idea should be to offer them as recreational grades, but encourage people who want to compete seriously to move into the red grades, surely (or age-appropriate course for the juniors).

And ditto the short red courses, as someone who runs short grades, I don't expect to win cups and place certificates as I don't consider it a competition grade - if I was fit enough I would run the A grade!

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 14 April 2009, 2:41 PM  
Maybe just men/women's open B will cover all the newcomer adults.
You're correct about the short grades etc, as they are well below the leval of the e's and a's, so they don't deserve to be NZ champions, although some of them, especially the newbies could be as pleased as anyone out there to win a title.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 14 April 2009, 3:26 PM  
....another point to add is - why does NZ have short grades (21As/21S) on middle distance races? These courses are usually only about 500m shorter than the normal course!

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 14 April 2009, 4:34 PM  
I agree with all these comments - probably NZOF needs to put some perimeters around some of this - ie, where there are 3 entries or less that grade should merge with the one below it etc. And agree re less B grades too - many of them got very few, and in some cases no entries at all.

That 3 way tie was amazing though - I hope those guys went out and bought lotto tickets each! I remember Jeff Greenwood and I tied in the Wgtn champs a wee while back, and then there was Rebecca and Rachels tie as well, so I guess it happens, but 3 of them must be a record surely! :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 April 2009, 5:08 PM  
After some blind alleys I managed to find some words for a Google search - try "three way tie championship". Most of the hits are sports with discrete score systems, eg golf; or points systems for a series of games or races. No sign of another three way tie on times yet. Adding the word "time" doesn't work, this word may be used for too many other things. Any suggestions, or shall we let Mr Guiness do the research?

BTW Google found THIS thread, even though it's been in existence for under 6hrs!

Show Profile  Katie Posted: 15 April 2009, 3:47 AM  
As someone who runs 21A I think the grade is important. Even if you kept 35A I still have another 8 or 9 years before I move to another grade and W40A runs the same course as W21A anyway so if you took away 21A and just made it the short version I'd feel pretty short-changed. I'm not a great orienteer so running elite would be too daunting but I want a decent length course so 21A is perfect.

I do agree though that normally these grades don't have that many people which was why this nationals was cool with 7 people running W21A.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 15 April 2009, 10:40 AM  
Opinions of someone who's pretty much run the full extent of GRADES over their O-career, but hasn't had to bother much about age CLASSES yet.

10 year age classes starting at 40 - Yes (and this from someone who's NZ title would then be eliminated), but with the proviso that the arguments from those over 70 wanting 5 year classes should be at least listened to.
Eliminate 21AL - Definitely Yes for sprints, Definitely No for long, Unsure for middle, but there's probably no need for E, AL AND AS for middle.
Review B grades - Yes, though just one open B grade is maybe a little too far, comatose is maybe on the right track with long/short orange options
Championship status for B & AS grades - I'd say No (even when I was running such grades) but kinda understand those who'd argue Yes

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 April 2009, 11:01 AM  
10 yr age classes would look great on paper, imagine tho as an example the day ML decides to move up, there's not a s*show of any of us lot getting a title for a very long and demoralising time. I do wonder if it would be the right thing to do.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 15 April 2009, 11:34 AM  
Sorry Paul that doesn't hold much logic to me. Your arguement is that Mark is so good he would all the races. If he is deserving and others arn't then he should win all the titles! Don't create an extra course just cos you can't beat someone who is bloody good. Get bloody better! Other than that I agree with everything above. Two orange courses...they are champions of those that enter...but not of any country. 21AL and short definatly have a place in the long and would become bigger with ten year veterans starting at 40.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 15 April 2009, 1:10 PM  
yep, have to agree with you Neil on this one, its better to have the best runners in each grade - feels a bit contrived otherwise, and as you say it just makes you wanna be better :-)

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 April 2009, 2:27 PM  
Yes guys of course it should make you want to do as good as you can, and obviously the best deserves to win, no arguement there, but how realistic is it that someone pushing 50 can compete with and at the same level as a 40yr old straight out of elites. Likewise 50v60, 60v70. Seems like a big spread to me and one that could potentially have a negative influence on the older persons enthusiasm for the sport (not in all cases). Using Mark as an example wasn't the right choice as he qualifies mid age in that group, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
I know there are many examples of older runners beating younger ones (loosing my own arguement here) but I'm just trying to explore if there are any dangers of discouraging members in doing so, or not, maybe most people would prefer the 10yr groupings as it would definately be more competitive and with better numbers etc. However I do get the feeling that there is some relief to some people when they move up an age group at the moment, so is there something in that or should they just harden up?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz